Author Topic: New project car  (Read 1735 times)

Offline buzzer

New project car
« on: Monday,April 29, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
Hi,
Just acquired my project car last week. So now in the planning investigation stage and realisation of what I have just taken on.  An X production racing europa special, already in pieces :-\ and been apart for 30 years.
And yes I know what I have taken on.!  Attached photo with the doors attached with tape!
I think the first challenge is to check over the chassis for trueness and then body fit.  The body has had a lot of race type of repairs which are a bit bodged to say the least. no real heavy damage but a lot of small impact evidence. so it will be to refit and stabilise the body.
I'll post some more pics etc over the next few days.

Dave
Current Other cars
BMW Alpina D3
Westfield Sei
BMW E30 325 convertible
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
Re: New project car
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 29, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »
Hi Dave,

looks like a real challenge. I wish you the best succes. Do you want to bring that car back on the race track?

regards

Stefan

Offline buzzer

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »
Stephan,

Yes I do want to bring it back to the race track as well as get it re-registered for the roads in the UK. I need to track down what group it was raced in in the UK, I suspect it started in group 3 production cars, but that is only really a guess at the moment as I am new to building a car for racing. Built my Westfield a few years ago so the rebuild itself does not daunt me.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Jas

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2013, 03:49:10 AM »
Hi Dave

Congratulations with your new car, lots of good hours ahead in the garage  :welder:

Is this the former Chris Meeks car?
If yes then I have some pictures from when it was raced here in Denmark by Argil Nielsen.
Let me know I'll be happy to share them with you.

Cheers
Jannik
Jannik
Denmark

You can do it fast
You can do it cheap
You can do it right
… pick any two!

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2013, 06:22:49 AM »
Jannik,

Yes it is, and yes plenty of hours ahead mainly on the bodywork. Want to get the structure sorted, roll cage fitted and new firewall as the priority.

Dave
Dave,

Offline Jas

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
Here are a few pictures of your car in action.
I also have some other pictures of Argil in a nother Twin Cam Special, earlier I thought that it was the same car, but now I not so sure, but they look god anyway so here they are.
Jannik
Denmark

You can do it fast
You can do it cheap
You can do it right
… pick any two!

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 01, 2013, 03:45:22 AM »
Jannik,

Thanks,
The first couple of picture are of this car but the others are a different europa. The round gold edged number background was on the car from the early 70s when it was in the UK and there is no evidence of a respray or much touching in.

Dave
Dave,

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Friday,May 03, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
 :coolpic:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #8 on: Monday,May 06, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »
 :coolpic:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 03:45:19 AM »
Jannik,

You'll soon realize that working on your car will be a joy, even when things are all going the wrong way.  Keep the dream alive and realize that doing just one little thing will be helping you reach your goal.  You're actually well ahead of where you think you are.  The car arrived already separated from the frame.  This will make it much easier for you to build it the way you want, the right way.  Mine came all together, and I often wish, usually with my arm stuck inside some hard and cold place, I had done a body-off restoration. 

Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.