Author Topic: Head rest Question  (Read 611 times)

Offline cal44

Head rest Question
« on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
Heck.....I can't remember if I asked this before or not.  So, forgive me if I have.
Since I cannot push the seat back any further I got to thinking about the headrest.  I can't stand having the windshield pillar next to my face, it drives me crazier.

Sooo I was looking at the headrest.  That silly thing must be almost four inches thick and the angle is terrible, like an airplane seat.  Thinking about taking it down to the upholstory shop and have the boys reduce it down to  one inch.
I told a buddy, he said, "what happens if you get in an accident".............?
My reply was "that headrest is the least of your worries if you get hit in one of these".

Opinions?.......I'm going to do it anyway but I do like to hear from ya'll

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Head rest Question
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
Hi Mike,

Well, as you say, if you have an accident then the least of your problems is going to be a missing headrest !  The pillars are close to the driver but I've never really bothered too much about it myself, I just don't notice it once I'm in the car. But I do understand what you mean, a lot of modern cars here seem to have much wider screen pillars and I find them distracting.

So, will it make a difference ? I don't know. For me, my head just rests lightly on the padding so I'd say if you're the same then reducing it should make a difference. But will an inch or so be noticeable to you ? If so, go for it, it's your car and you're the driver after all.

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Re: Head rest Question
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 03:53:41 AM »
I didn't do this to make the headrest further away, but it might be a good way for you to avoid having to re-upholster the entire seat(s?).

I used my 3D printer to make these, but you can find any badges you like on the internet.

Basically, I made 2 large buttons and drilled 2 holes through the back of the seat (it's steel) and ran heavy cord through the back, out of the leather, through the back of the button and back out the other hole in the seat.  I pulled the cord taunt and tied it at the point where I liked the indentation on the front.  If you pull hard enough, you can make the headrest concave so your head will be where you want it.

Just a thought.

Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.