Author Topic: Go-To Bag Tools and what??  (Read 674 times)

Offline Dan C 2624R

Go-To Bag Tools and what??
« on: Friday,August 23, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »
So, like most of you, I have been following Certified's restoration.  I read yesterday about the troubles on the road and it got me thinking.  What would I take/pack to cover issues encountered on a trip?  As I read I kept thinking would I have had that in my MacGyver's bag.

I put it out to the group for their choices. 

I will start with a spare tire, jack, lug wrench, emergency lights, AAA card (get you home tow - US)

What else?

Dan
TC  2624R (now motivated and making progress)

Offline RoddyMac

Re: Go-To Bag Tools and what??
« Reply #1 on: Friday,August 23, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »
I would carry:

Distributor cap
Rotor

Small inline electrical fuel pump with wire's at least 2' long and hose clamps

Alternator belt

Roll of 200mph tape

and a tool roll that contains:

7/16 wrench
1/2" wrench
9/16 wrench
Phillips screwdriver
flat head screwdriver
lug wrench
an adjustable wrench

And maybe some cigarette paper, nail polish, and a pair of womens pantyhose (kidding, of course...)

The reasoning behind the archaic ignition components is if you are running electronic ignition and it fails, I doubt you would be able to do a road side fix on the electronic unit.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Friday,August 23, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »
This is a great topic!

If you're like me and you have wider wheels than stock, a spare is not possible because you have no where to stow the flat tire. Some cars are delivered new with fix-a-flat cans. I have a repair kit and a compressor operated by the battery.

I would also choose to bring an inexpensive set of tools (SAE wrenches, socets, ratchets, screwdrivers, etc.) from Harbor Freight or similar. This should take care of most roadside repairs including the lug wrench.

My insurance is with Hagerty and they have roadside service. If you are on the US side of the pond, I would advise everyone to at least check them out. They are setup to deal with people like us and our cars. Of course, there is a mileage limit on all roadside service so it might be useful to have a Lotus Ltd. membership roster and hopefully there will be a sympathetic member near you.

Some spares would be nice. After Certified's experience, a spare coil and ignition module, radiator cap, rotor, a spare electric fuel pump, collection of fuses, a quart of motor oil and a quart of tranny oil.

Now, what do you put all that in. I think big ziploc bags to keep tools and spares from rusting. Maybe even spray them with WD-40 first. I think all of that should fit where the spare tire belongs. It will take a bit of creativity to anchor it. I think a tough tool bag might be the easiest way to stow it all.

I am only partway through putting something like this together. One day I need to knuckle down and put it all together.

I'm interested in other's suggestions, too!

Edit: I forgot a tube of silicone seal, maybe a roll of electrical tape in addition to Roddy's list.
« Last Edit: Friday,August 23, 2019, 01:27:31 PM by BDA »

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #3 on: Friday,August 23, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »
I forgot a tube of silicone seal

That's what the cigarette paper and nail polish is for  :FUNNY:

In seriousness, yes a tube of silicone or any other gasket sealer is a worthwhile addition to a spares kit. 

Offline GavinT

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »
 . . and a few disposable wipe cloths & some hand cleaner.
With even a small rummage under the bonnet you’ll probably need to clean up . . and you certainly will if you’ve been painting your nails as Roddy suggests.

Electrical wire.
Coat hanger wire to tie up, say, a loose exhaust. Wire is amazingly versatile for temporary repairs.

For tools prone to rusting, I use that old fashioned floor wax from a tin. I just get some on a cloth and wipe the tool as if you’re going to polish it. I don’t polish it off and it doesn’t attract dust like an oil would. Works well on wood chisels & the like at home, too.

I also keep one of those “Leatherman” tools in the glove box.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 03:16:30 AM »
You can easily get carried away with what to bring on a road trip. I have a soft bag tool/parts kit and a hard plastic case with a set of open end wrenches and sockets from Harbour Freight (although I will change it out for a nicer set from Craftsman because when you need the tools you want to use decent ones).

So here is what I carry:

Fluids: Two quarts of oil, one pint of group 4 hydraulic fluid, one quart of gear oil and two pints of fuel stabilizer (for the Weber carbs).

Spare parts: throttle cable stop in a baggie with the very small size  wrench and Alan wrench needed to install it, water pump belt (try finding a 23 inch belt at autozone, no go) coil wire that can be used for a spark plug wire, set of 4 spark plugs pre-gapped), different size hose clamps, roll of  black electrical wire 14 gauge. Oil filter. 35 amp fuses x6.

Tools: small tool kit with open end and socket wrenches. Small breaker bar with long socket attached for wheel lugs. Wire stripper/crimper and a box of various connectors. Long flatbhead screwdriver for adjusting Weber carbs, adjustable wrench, multi point screwdriver. Jumper cables (small from British wiring), 6 throw away mechanic cloth towels, powerful flashlight, multi tool (this is always a life saver). Roll of black wiring tape. Multi meter (I just addd this) and a test light.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 04:53:12 AM »
  I have only broken down once in 40 years of driving. Flat tire , if that counts.  I guess I’ll have a whole new experience driving a Lotus.  No room in a corvette for much, fuses,  screwdriver & bulbs.
 I worked at a service station when I was younger, I got pulled over for some reason..., anyway the officer asked me to open my trunk, which I did . My tools for the job were in there. He stated that they were burglary tools .  :headbanger:  detaining me even longer.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »
After an overhaul, I carry a lot of tools.  Slowly, as the bugs are sorted and the post-resto mods completed, the number of tools shrinks.  For example, I carry tools to adjust the Banks door hinges.  I found they "settled" over time and would require snugging up.  After 10K things are stable and those tools will disappear from my kit.  Same with the coil spring seat tool, headlight adjusting screwdriver, etc.  I'll always carry spare plugs and the tools to change them as it is easy to foul a plug on start up.  I've gotten better and haven't fouled one in 5K but you never know.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
Bring a good flashlight.  I  have broken down at night and my cellphone didn't quite cut it. If you don't already have one in your Europa, a fire extinguisher. 

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,September 07, 2019, 04:19:59 AM »
Just wanted to say thank you for the thoughts.  I appreciate the information.  I printed the thread and will use it as my restoration moves forward.

Offline 4173R

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,September 07, 2019, 06:02:21 AM »