Author Topic: Springs, could use some advice...  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Springs, could use some advice...
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 03:32:34 AM »
Lots of great comments and insight.  It took me two years to get my track Exige S dialed in with the right spring/shock/brake/aero changes. But when I finally got it right it was one sweet handling neutral balanced car.

I will try my 8” 140# springs first for the stance and then figure out if the damper settings make the set up work for my style of driving.

The Dave Bean sheet is very confusing regarding spring specs. If you look at it closely there is nothing over 140# for any setup. And it’s suggesting that for the front 10” 140# is for race setup.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,September 22, 2019, 05:41:03 AM »
I’m following up on this thread as I now have almost a 1000 miles on the 8” x 140# front spring set up. My AVO adjustable shocks have 11 settings and I have experimented with each one of the settings. The stiffer settings (8 and above) create the right rebound but the car sits too low for back country road driving without adjusting the springs up fairly far in the perches which then allows the bump stops to hit on medium bumps in the road. Additionally the chamber is very negative. That would work extremely well for Autocross, and the car turns just by thinking about a corner........

I’m going back to the 10” x 150# springs which is what Dave Bean suggested in the first place for a “fast road” set up.

I love the stance of my Europa and am torn to reinstall the 10 inch springs, but it needs to be street-able (my friend Bruce has the same set up and he has similar issues) .

More to come.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,September 22, 2019, 07:07:42 AM »
Have you considered getting adjustable upper A-arms to set your camber? Alternatively, I've seen where some have made slotted their lower wishbones and made plates to adjust the camber (not a very good description but hopefully you'll get the idea).

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,September 22, 2019, 07:19:26 AM »
I really wanted to stick with as much of the stock components as possible considering this is a road car. The adjustable arms enter into a different territory for continuous adjustments. My track cars had these. One day I’ll see if I can locate the pages and pages of documentation I made for my suspension setups, tire pressure and tire temperature of my track Exige S. It all got to be overwhelming, especially when I kept modifying the aero along the way.

Colin had it right, let Lotus do the engineering and leave it alone. Now, saying that I am fully aware of the changes I have made with adjustable shocks. But that is as far as I am willing to go for this car.

Hopefully.......maybe......probably......