Author Topic: Modern Radio install  (Read 2208 times)

Offline matmacwac

• If your not Bleeding ... Your not trying.
Re: Modern Radio install
« Reply #15 on: Monday,December 03, 2018, 08:10:45 AM »
I tried to make a modified dash layout to allow for a Poineer AVIC navigation radio. It all looked like it was going to work until reassemble time. The deck was too deep and would hit the heater box.
So I bought a cheap Chinese deck off EBay ($120). No CDs, Android, BT and Nav. The whole unit is only about 3.5” deep.

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Monday,December 03, 2018, 09:07:53 AM »
 :Welcome: matmacwac

I once considered taking an old cell phone and hacking it to just have date, time, nav, music, etc. and building it into the dash but it was a lot of trouble, I didn't have the development kits and no experience with android (though I used to have quite a bit of experience with Linux). Somebody should try that. I think it would be a good solution for a lot of people.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #17 on: Monday,December 03, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »
what's "DIN"?   for those acronym illiterate...
BTW (I know that one)…. I want and use CD's.    I'm not one of the gullible, gotta have it now, spend money on the latest and greatest, whatever technology comes down the road.    have fun chasing down the newest technology....it will be surpassed with the next newest thing to spend your money on.   what goes around, comes around.    Glad I kept my turn table and albums, now that they are back "in style"...    need I continue?    :FUNNY:
« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 04, 2018, 07:23:22 AM by tedtaylor »
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Monday,December 03, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
DIN refers to a German standards organization so there are lots of DIN things. Apparently, the fotmat for in-dash radios and the size of the old standard size radio is known as "single DIN". More recently, larger radios grew screens to deal with nav, camera output, etc. They are basically twice as tall, but the same width of the older radios and those are "double-DIN."

I have the music from just about every CD in my house on a micro SD card that is plugged into radio in my Mercedes. I would love to be able to do the same thing with my Lotus but the radio in it only supports a USB thumb drive. Much better, IMHO, than CDs but not as good as micro SD card but then to each his own.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Monday,December 03, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
Deutsche Industrial Norms

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #20 on: Friday,December 07, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »
IMHO, there is only one radio for the Europa, and that is the Becker 'Europa II' from a Mercedes.......Small, light, easily converted to aux input for your Ipod, Iphone, etc. Here are a couple of pics.  I got this one on ebay for $200 but it needed a little repair.  You should pay $300 to $400 for one in good condition, working.  There is a place back east that will repair them also. 

Jerry Rude
4005R