Author Topic: Modern Radio install  (Read 2232 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Modern Radio install
« on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »
Has anyone put a modern single DIN radio in their car? Is there enough room behind the dash?
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Rosco5000

Re: Modern Radio install
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
I didn't install it but my TCS has a modern Sony single DIN radio in it.  They are a standard size so I would think you could make one fit.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
I didn't install it but my TCS has a modern Sony single DIN radio in it.  They are a standard size so I would think you could make one fit.
I think it will fit as well. Does your's play CDs?
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 11:44:59 AM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
I installed a JVC KD-AV41BT a couple of years ago. It replaced an old Pioneer that was a pullout radio (the entire radio pulled in and out of a chassis attached to the dash). The only thing that seemed to be a problem at all - and maybe that is because I'm not an experienced radio installer - was the thickness of dash. The mount had bend out tabs to help secure it to dashes of different thicknesses but I didn't trust them. Most radios have a mount in the back and that is a challenge to attach but I think it can be done - certainly by an experienced installer.

I tried to find a single DIN radio with nav but couldn't find one without a pop-out screen which I don't think is an option given the Europa dash layout.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
I think it will fit as well. Does your's play CDs?
Who wants CDs any more? I don't but for some reason JVC felt compelled to have a CD/DVD reader in mine. I wanted a radio to take micro SD cards instead. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one - at least one with support for a camera and Bluetooth. It does accept a thumb drive which is fine if not as nice as an "invisible" SD card. I would have thought that when designing a small chassis radio, they would save space and ditch the CD/DVD player but they are very common.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »
Mine does play CDs but it has a Aux in.  I would prefer a Bluetooth one though, wires are so 2000, LOL.  My best friend is a very high end car audio tech and he has Bluetooth dongles that can just interface an amp to a bluetooth source.  Even better you don't need to put a radio in a dash at all.  But that is the high cost solution.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
I don't play CDs anymore. However because this radio has GPS navigation it is just as deep as a single DIN radio that plays CDs. It is the depth that I'm concerned about. To my knowledge the JVC is the only single DIN radio with navigation. If it doesn't fit then I will go with a non-CD model. They are half as deep. That is what I put in my other car. Everything is bluetooth.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 01:25:47 PM »
I think that unit was discontinued. The only reason I can think of that makes that important is whether you can get updated maps. Are new maps available? That would be a great unit!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
I don't play CDs anymore. However because this radio has GPS navigation it is just as deep as a single DIN radio that plays CDs. It is the depth that I'm concerned about. To my knowledge the JVC is the only single DIN radio with navigation. If it doesn't fit then I will go with a non-CD model. They are half as deep. That is what I put in my other car. Everything is bluetooth.
If the unit is the same size as a DIN CD unit then there's no problem with space. I've had a couple of different (modern) CD players in mine and there's no problem with clearance between the dash & heater box. In fact mine has a bracket coming off the rear of one of the heater box studs to support the back of the units.

The biggest problem I've had is the one BDA outlined, getting those thin, soft metal holders to bend and fit the hole in the dash neatly.  The wood seems to be just that particular thickness that can't be easily accommodated by the pre-stamped "wings" you have to secure them.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 02:02:33 PM »
I solved that problem but I was still building the car and the dash was out of the car. I used small wood screws to attach some thin aluminum angle on either side of the radio hole and then pop riveted the mount to those angles. This was handy because I didn't trust the little tabs and I was installing the chassis (sorry, I'm getting turned around with nomenclature) for my Pioneer pull out radio. My JVC has a similar mounting arrangement in that a chassis is attached to the dash and it holds the radio. Looking at a picture of a radio like Joe has on Ebay, it appears that it shares that mounting system. It was difficult, but I was able to "un-rivet" the old chassis for the pull out radio and pop rivet the new chassis for the JVC radio. Unfortunately, doing that on a dash installed in the car would be VERY challenging!!! But I think it might be possible if you can get away without drilling a pilot hole and you have a good offset ratcheting screwdriver.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,November 28, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
Why bother putting a radio/Stereo in at all? I use my iPhone (which is loaded with music I like or you can connect to pandora for free and make your own mix) and a portable self powered stereo speaker  (Ultimate Ears MegaBoom). Plus you have navigation built into your phone with audio directions routed to your speaker. I’ve been using this for years and it works extremely well. I’m a purest, I don’t want a car stereo in my sports car unless I’m on long trips (like the 1000 + miles I drove to LOG38).
« Last Edit: Friday,November 30, 2018, 07:05:37 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #11 on: Friday,November 30, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »

Who wants CDs any more?
I'm still playing 8-track tapes in mine  8)
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Friday,November 30, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »
Crystal Gale?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Friday,November 30, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »
I'm still playing 8-track tapes in mine  8)

You'll be telling us next you don't need the car heater because the valve amplifier is plenty good enough for de-misting......    :)

Brian

(it's cool if you still have 8 tracks though....  I bet they'd go for a fortune on Ebay)   

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #14 on: Friday,November 30, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
I'm still searching for one of the dealer installed 8 tracks with the Lotus name on the 8 track door.  :)

Sherman