Author Topic: Reverse wireless Camera instead of ashtray  (Read 623 times)

Offline invjbo

Reverse wireless Camera instead of ashtray
« on: Sunday,January 15, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »
My car is missing the ashtray and the prices out there to get hold of one is not very tempting. So i found a wireless reverse camera with "nightvision" on ebay. I have mounted the camera in the back next to the license plate light and are testing to see if the screen would fit nicely over the ashtray "hole"

I have only mounted with some black tape to hold it in place while testing out. But i think it could work fine. Anything aiding in vieing rear when reversing is welcome.

Lotus Europa S2 -71
VW Golf Gti -16
Bayliner 2455 -01
BMW S1000XR -16
Husqvarna Fe 450 -16

Offline BDA

Re: Reverse wireless Camera instead of ashtray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,January 15, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
Very cool! When I was "finishing" (will it ever really be finished?) my car, I was looking for something cool to put where the ashtray was but in 1999, the only thing I could find was a clock! It isn't expensive or fancy, but it is a good clock. Some day I may put something cooler there and a screen for a backup camera seems like a good choice.

Another thought I've had is an inexpensive smartphone to use for a GPS, clock, music, etc.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Reverse wireless Camera instead of ashtray
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,January 15, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »
Good idea!

I started with a DIN receiver with a back-up camera.  Loved the camera, the receiver less so.  So I fit extra gauges and a GPS with a back-up camera.  A back-up camera makes backing up a Europa a piece of cake.

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-bMv9fFR/A