Author Topic: Have your dash and eat it too  (Read 1736 times)

Offline jbcollier

Have your dash and eat it too
« on: Tuesday,October 18, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Some of you may remember I had a modern stereo fitted so I could have a back-up camera.  Worked like a charm, the back-up camera that is, but the interior noise makes a stereo rather silly -- at least in an S1.  So out with the new and in with the old.  I made up a blanking plate, wrinkle painted it and fit some period accessories: voltmeter, clock and the HUGE oil pressure warning light used in Lotus 47s, Lotus Cortinas and 26Rs.

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-ZjWgNLC/A

It works!

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-d5cmGnn/A

And now the b/u camera is handled by a GPS:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-bMv9fFR/A

Finally I added another 12v power outlet off to the side as using the cigarette lighter puts the bulky adapter in the way of the gearshift (and a twin usb charging port as well).

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-djLnn2H/A

Now I can stuff the GPS in the glovebox and no glaringly obvious modern stereo.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 09:00:33 AM by jbcollier »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Have your dash and eat it too
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,October 18, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
I quite like the blanking plate idea with the massive "oi !!!" warning light, it looks very period and in keeping with the rest. (and those lights are really expensive on UK Ebay ! )

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,October 18, 2016, 10:42:37 PM »
the back-up camera is a great addition...

(the OIL pressure warning light looks superb!)

Mark

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 05:28:47 AM »
That looks great, John! I've been on the lookout for a Bluetooth/sd/camera or GPS radio but I haven't found anything that would work. I wish I had gotten the blank for the radio now.  :(

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »
That looks great, John! I've been on the lookout for a Bluetooth/sd/camera or GPS radio but I haven't found anything that would work. I wish I had gotten the blank for the radio now.  :(
The only single din radio I have found is the JVC KD-NX5000. It was discontinued some years ago. There is still old stock out there, you just dig around. I got one from a guy on Craigs List some time ago. It will support a backup camera as well. Also has Navigation, Bluetooth, Satellite Radio and DVD / CD / MP3 playback. Although watching a movie is novel at best. The backup camera feature is activated with the reverse switch on your tranny.

Here is one I put in a 914 I restored a few years back.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
Thanks, Joe. I just found one on ebay (but it's out of stock). It might be tough to find one and then I have to wonder if I'll be able to hear it since I expect my car is louder than John's. Maybe I'll stick with the GPS on my cell phone and maybe upgrade to a better ear piece and a backup camera with its own screen may work, too.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 11:24:20 AM by BDA »

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
Thanks, Joe. I just found one on ebay (but it's out of stock). It might be tough to find one and then I have to wonder if I'll be able to hear it since I expect my car is louder than John's. Maybe I'll stick with the GPS on my cell phone and maybe upgrade to a better ear piece and a backup camera with its own screen may work, too.
In my Mercedes that is what I do. The unit in that car has bluetooth, so I use the navigation on my phone and broadcast it through the radio. Since there is no CD capabilities the unit is only half as deep. I think this may be a good alternative for the Europa since there is so little room behind the dash. Bluetooth, Pandora, Hands Free Phone, compatible with most smart phones and under $100.00. I've been very satisfied.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »
Taking a 40+ year old Lotus down roads you don't know is "brave".

I have to make sure I keep to roads I know and with cellphone signal, just in case.

Hence no satnav required.

Maybe the Lotus knows its way around Norfolk from its birth.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
 So are you saying you basically use your radio as an amplifier for your phone?

The Pioneer unit I have in my other car is AVIC X490BT. It has an SD card slot for my music. It would be nice to have that because I could just make a copy of  my SD card for the Lotus radio. It has Bluetooth, and GPS, of course. If I could replicate that functionality, that would be cool.

When I built my car, you couldn't get GPS. The coolest thing I could find to put in the place of the old ashtray was a clock. It's a good clock, but something like a GPS would be a lot cooler! Even if I have to re-do the work I did on my console and have it covered again.

Taking a 40+ year old Lotus down roads you don't know is "brave".

I have to make sure I keep to roads I know and with cellphone signal, just in case.

Hence no satnav required.

Maybe the Lotus knows its way around Norfolk from its birth.

I have a pretty good capacity to get lost. Streets that are recognizable during the day can be completely unrecognizable at night. Besides, most of my car is really new. Of major components, the NG3 is the oldest. The engine has less than 10K miles on it, so I expect to get a little "braver" in the future. I went to the Lotus meet in Asheville (about 4 1/2 hours away) a couple of years ago and I plan on taking it to the Lotus meet in Birmingham (about eight hours away) next may.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
The problem with driving the Europa at night, is that being so low, even dipped headlights dazzle you, and if it is raining, stay at home. The car will leak and mist up. But at least the screen is close enough to wipe with a cloth.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
True enough! I went on a 10K mile road trip when the car was new. It always seemed like the oncoming cars had their brights on! It's definitely something to get used to.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
That looks great as always.  It would be kind of cool if you could mount a lightweight screen to the back of your sun visor.  Need your back up camera, voila, flip down your visor.  You could also wire the screen power to come on when you are in reverse and the reverse light power comes on.   
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
That looks great as always.  It would be kind of cool if you could mount a lightweight screen to the back of your sun visor.  Need your back up camera, voila, flip down your visor.  You could also wire the screen power to come on when you are in reverse and the reverse light power comes on.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 02:58:42 PM »
Interesting! That wouldn't work for me, though. I didn't bother installing visors - If I turned them down, I wouldn't be able to see anything!