Author Topic: WAR has been declared early this year!!!  (Read 1197 times)

Offline blasterdad

WAR has been declared early this year!!!
« on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
Just went into the garage to fetch some paperwork & saw a chipmunk  run into a corner behind a heater.
As I crouched down to investigate, it squeaked, ran under the Lotus & up into it.  :headbanger:
It seems we've  had a bumper crop of these "super mice" hatch around here this year, (one even got in the house).
In the house they stand no chance, as the cats catch it, then the dog steals it from them in order to take the credit. :FUNNY:
So, I am off to the store this morning to stock up on land mines, claymores & nerve gas.
I'm thinking these should also work on the stinkbugs, ladybugs, & mud daubers that we have had an abundance of this year also.
Please feel free to add to my shopping list, let's join forces & strategies to protect our LBC'S!
 :blowup:   

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: WAR has been declared early this year!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 08:24:40 AM »
 :)

We have less of a problem although I do have mousetraps scattered about the edges of the workshop and garage.

A few years ago mice got into our campervan and proceeded to chew the gear lever gaiter. When I looked closer, they'd been behind the dashboard and had a few meals on the wiring insulation. Not good on a modern where everything relies on this electrical magic.  I ended up removing the dashboard from a 2 year old Fiat Ducato (van was Fiat Based) to clear out mouse droppings and repair damage.

I think battlefield nukes are in order.....

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 08:28:39 AM »
I think battlefield nukes are in order.....

Added!  :FUNNY:
The chipmunk seemed to ignore the mouse traps. ;)
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 08:31:49 AM by blasterdad »

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »
I'm appalled that you guys want to murder Chip, Dale, Alvin, Theodore, or Simon!   :FUNNY:

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
The best I can offer is a bat hanging off my garage wall, and a frog in among my spare parts, and doves nesting above (and soiling) my work area.

I have visits from rabbits, hares, a family of stoats, voles, pheasants, barn owls, and tawny owls, and a badger at the end of the road.

All the fun of having space around my living area, and living in the country.   

Alex in rural Norfolk.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
I have been using an ultrasonic rodent deterrent in my garage for years and have never had a problem. And I live across the street from a farm.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone for joining the alliance, some pics of my recruits, arsenal & battlefield so far...

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,September 25, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
Ok Blaster! Enough about rodents! Let's see you put wrench to car and get that thing on the road!

:lotus:

Offline E Paul

« Reply #8 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 06:39:49 AM »
Oh, I cant stand the chipmunks...yeah, they are cute but so destructive to both house and cars. We have zillions of the industrious little buggers!!!!
Last winters successful attack was to start up a couple of the cars in the closed garage and let them run for a half hour. Left the garage door closed for the day. The CO gave them a long sleep.
Come spring, lots of desiccated rodents but no damage to anything.
Now... how to keep them out of the shed and the covered boat over the winter...I am thinking mothballs.
Then how to keep them from digging out the edges of the deck and under pretty much all of my masonry.
I need a non-poison type solution as I let the dog have complete run of the place, plus she is effective at chasing any squirrels at ground level.
I would get a cat, but the wife has nixed this solution...plus they have a short half-life outdoors here as they are coyote food. There are no outdoor cats in the area.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #9 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
I have heard mothballs aren't very effective, kinda brought this thread here from my MG forum, one member said he puts dog hair in various places throughout the car & it works great, others were peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, & castor bean oil...
My father cuts up a bar of "Irish spring" soap into chunks & puts them in his Corvette over the winter, & has never had any problems.
I am NOT saying that ANY of these actually work, just what some people do...
I prefer the common sense approach, cover & plug any places they can get in, i.e. exhaust pipe, heater air inlet, air cleaner, ect, ect.
Then try to feed them a steady diet of poison & traps.
Also the garage itself, steel wool in cracks & holes does work, (unless they chew a bigger hole around it).
As far as my progress goes, it appears the chipmunk chewed at the rubber in the corner of the garage door to get out yesterday, (where I have the trap in the pic). Placed the trap there last night & sprayed critter repellent on the outside of the door.
This morning the nuts were gone, & had a mouse in the trap. So add critter repellent to the doesn't work file.
Going back to good 'ol peanut butter & traps tonight, & fixing the garage door rubber.
LOVE the carbon monoxide idea by the way, just don't get caught in your own trap!  ;)

Oh, I cant stand the chipmunks...yeah, they are cute but so destructive to both house and cars. We have zillions of the industrious little buggers!!!!
Last winters successful attack was to start up a couple of the cars in the closed garage and let them run for a half hour. Left the garage door closed for the day. The CO gave them a long sleep.
Come spring, lots of desiccated rodents but no damage to anything.
Now... how to keep them out of the shed and the covered boat over the winter...I am thinking mothballs.
Then how to keep them from digging out the edges of the deck and under pretty much all of my masonry.
I need a non-poison type solution as I let the dog have complete run of the place, plus she is effective at chasing any squirrels at ground level.
I would get a cat, but the wife has nixed this solution...plus they have a short half-life outdoors here as they are coyote food. There are no outdoor cats in the area.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
If your really serious about keeping rodents out of your garage, you need one of these. I have 1000 sq. ft. of garage space and have never even seen a mouse dropping.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #11 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »
Thanks CL,
I read your previous post & saw one while I was out shopping, but it was just a square plastic box that plugged into an outlet,(no cord) so I was skeptical & didn't get it.
Thanks for the pic, that thing looks more like I had in mind! Will go see if I can find one tomorrow!  >:D

P.S a belated
 :Welcome:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #12 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 11:24:24 PM »
If your really serious about keeping rodents out of your garage, you need one of these. I have 1000 sq. ft. of garage space and have never even seen a mouse dropping.

I'm interested in your suggestion and have just been reading up what I can get over here. It seems I can get the same thing, so that's encouraging.

On the downside I'm curious about the practical application for me after reading that they shouldn't be placed near curtains or near obstructions.  I can understand the reasoning and suppose ideally they should be placed at ground level where the mice are, but I can foresee  me tripping over the lead or kicking them every now and then. 

Do you know if they could be wall mounted, say a foot off the floor and still be effective ?  Or even mounted overhead on a roof beam and pointing downwards ?  I think I'd buy a couple if they could be mounted alongside the lighting.

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,September 27, 2016, 02:44:07 AM »
I only have one placed in the corner of my garage on the floor, facing the garage doors at the opposite end. It's out of the way but unobstructed.

I also have another one of these built by a different company that plugs directly into a wall outlet (no power cord) in my basement. It doesn't work as well off the floor.

Floor level is important as that is where the rodents crawl.

By the way, if you have dogs and cats, they won't like being in the area where you have these operating due to the high frequency sound (which you can't hear).