Author Topic: Wire connectors  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
Wire connectors
« on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 09:21:44 AM »
Me again... I am reconnecting some wires at the front of the car - putting the radiator fan back in and adding a new otter switch. I destroyed the old connectors and am going to make a connection in the same place - but the wires look kind of tarnished. Is there something that can be done to help make the new connection reliable?? If there is enough wire to spare maybe I will cut 10mm off to get to a clean bit of wire. None of this wire looks clean enough to take solder.

Also - I have just had to cut 5mm off the end of a new track rod end as there was not enough thread on the shaft to take the replacement and lock nut. Anybody else had this??

Steve

Offline Gmg31

Re: Wire connectors
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »
Once wire tarnishes it's very hard to solder. I cut back the insulation and use two emery pads and rub the wires between them  to get them shiny again. It's Essential to use flux

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 10:39:05 AM »
Also - I have just had to cut 5mm off the end of a new track rod end as there was not enough thread on the shaft to take the replacement and lock nut. Anybody else had this??

Steve

Yes, but not on a Lotus Europa.

I was worried that there was no enough thread for a safe mechanical connection.

I believe the track rod ends on a normal rack for a Europa (Triumph with Lotus extensions), go on at least 12 complete turns.

Alex in Norfolk. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 12:22:04 PM »
Dip the wire in some muriatic acid, available in hardware and paint stores, then follow with a dip in a mix of water and baking soda.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,September 26, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
Hmm, that sounds wrong Steve. Either the TRE isn't right for the car or something else, maybe the spacer pieces or the inboard links depending on the rack type.  There's a diagram in the base S2 manual for the S2 rack giving dimensions, do they tie up roughly with yours ?

Brian

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 27, 2016, 12:15:52 AM »
Actually - re the track rod ends - Ive made a mistake - when I unscrewed the old one I wrapped masking tape to show its position BUT eventually had to move it to the other side of the nut - when I replaced that - but forgot. Not sure that makes sense. The new ones ARE around 2mm longer which is ok - but led me in the wrong direction somehow.

I will probably go down the acid route for the wires - there are old connectors all over the place that are just crimped. Soldering will be really tricky - and bad for my back!

Steve