Author Topic: Quick release pins for front hood  (Read 1436 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Quick release pins for front hood
« on: Wednesday,October 17, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »
Is anyone using this quick release pin for the front hood? If so can you post the size and length you are using?

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Quick release pins for front hood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 18, 2012, 05:42:39 AM »
This is to hold the bonnet open, yes? Does the pin just poke through a hole in the vertical face of the bonnet opening? If so, I'd be wary of fitting such a device. If the bonnet was open and retained with this pin, I would be worried that a  moderate breeze would catch the bonnet and rip something a part in the vacinity of the pin. At the least, be sure to bush the hole. Just thinking out loud...
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 18, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »
I got an answer from Steve Nelson (The owner of the car in the picture). The pin replaces the bolt that is used for the hinge on the front hood. He used a 1/4" X 2" quick release pin. He sleeved the hood itself with a piece of tubing that has a 1/4" ID.  Where the pin goes through the bobbin in the body it fits snugly and required no modification. The pin can't come out without pushing the button on the end of the pin. Nice for when you want to do some work on the front without having grab a wrench to remove the hood.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 18, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Oh, I see. It's for hood removal. Neat idea, I am familiar with this type of pin. Please disregard my previous verbal dribble.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,October 20, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »
I think this is a dandy idea.........thanks for the tip.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,October 20, 2012, 11:35:38 PM »
At the risk of being labelled a "doom & gloom" merchant, I'd add a word of caution about this method of holding the front bonnet. Not so much the idea of pins (which are fine) but the thought that you'd be pulling & replacing the panel often enough to need Q/R pins on a road car.

If your bodywork clearances are tight (2-3mm ?)  then re-fitting the bonnet isn't as easy as it looks for a one man job. I found it an awkward lift to support the bonnet whilst locating the standard bolts after last year's respray and ended up slipping and damaging the paintwork.  Admittedly the paint was relatively soft but it didn't help my mood at the time !

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,October 21, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
I had one fellow tell me to bunch up one to two blankets and sit the nose of the hood them.  They support the hood while you are bolting or pinning.  Don't know if it works but seems logical?

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,October 21, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »
Yep, I could see that working Mike. With the benefit of hindsight you could probably work something out with the spare wheel as well.

In my case I just laid the bonnet in place and worked through the front grille to get underneath, which I should have done the first time round instead of trying to hold it with one hand and get the bolts in with the other, while trying to juggle a nylon washer between the bonnet & wing as well.   

I decided this was such a good method for getting at any of the bolts in the front boot that I attached the grille with cable ties at the top and a home-made metal loop at the bottom so that cutting the ties allows it to drop back and lie flat. Of course, since doing that little mod, I've not needed to go there.....

Brian