Author Topic: Clutch and Fuel tank  (Read 1227 times)

Offline phil

Clutch and Fuel tank
« on: Saturday,May 07, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »
Hello All,
A couple of problems:-
When trying to pull away at the top of my drive which is a steepish slope, the car judders and bangs like crazy, the only way to get out is to rev it quite alot and slip the clutch, I am assuming the clutch needs attention / replacing?
Also my fuel was reading low, I put about 15 litres in the drivers side tank and it filled it, yet the fuel guage has hardly moved!?
Any ideas please?
Kind regards

Phil

Offline BDA

Re: Clutch and Fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,May 07, 2016, 12:14:41 PM »
Not sure about your clutch, but you could be right.

The fuel gauge float can leak and fill with gas. Replacement floats are available. r.d. enterprises may have them. If not, you might try Moss Motors.

Edit - I didn't notice you were on the other side of the pond! I'm sure you'll find places over there for the fuel level float.
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 07, 2016, 01:07:18 PM by BDA »

Offline Arizona

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,May 07, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »
Is your clutch cable anchored to the frame? I had the bucking problem with mine until I moved the anchor point to the engine block.
George F. Johnson

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,May 07, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
The bucking could also be a broken/failed engine mount.

Turn the key on, reach in and disconnect the wire from the fuel tank sending unit.  Gauge should read zero.  Touch the wire to a good ground.  Gauge should read full.  Let us know what it reads and we can advise further.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,May 07, 2016, 10:21:01 PM »
Morning Phil,

Does the clutch slip under load or have difficulty in selecting gears ? If not, then I'd start with something loose/broken or just wrong.  I like the clutch cable mounting idea for starters but would also look at the engine/gearbox mounts as John says and even the driveshaft UJs as last resort.

When I've had clutch problems there have been two main symptoms; the first was slipping under load,  top gear going up hill when the revs increased without the car going faster was the lightbulb moment.   The second version didn't slip but it was difficult to select gears and the operation was almost like a switch, very sharp to engage from standstill. When removed the friction plate was fine but I convinced myself the diaphragm "fingers" were flatter (and weaker ?) than the replacement unit.

Possible daft question alert  - is this a RHD car with twin tanks ? 

If so the fuel sender on my car is on the LHD/passenger side.  John's already detailed the electrical checks but I'd add in a mechanical one, is the balance pipe between the tanks in place/working  and do you get the same levels in both tanks ?  When I fill my car I have to fill both sides because the balance pipe is too small to keep up with the fill rate, but levels should equalise over a few minutes. If you've filled the RHD tank and the sender is on the other tank then try a dip stick level check to see if it's getting across to the sender.

Brian

Offline phil

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,May 08, 2016, 03:02:02 AM »
Morning All

Yes Brian it is a RHD TC.
I have just checked the fuel guage, it now has gone up to over half way, so I guess I will have to do both tanks next time, or I will be waiting at the petrol station for a couple of hours!

I will investigate the mountings later today if time permits, is it just a visual check? The clutch cable does anchor on the chassis. It does not slip, I used to have an elan+2  35 years ago and it did slip so I replaced it.
Fun isn't it all these things.

Regards    Phil

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,May 08, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »
Yup, only one side has a sending unit and there is only a small hose connecting the two.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,May 08, 2016, 09:24:46 AM »
I will investigate the mountings later today if time permits, is it just a visual check? The clutch cable does anchor on the chassis. It does not slip, I used to have an elan+2  35 years ago and it did slip so I replaced it.
Fun isn't it all these things.

Mountings should be fairly obvious from a quick peek. I think the engine mounts take a more load on our cars so need to be good quality and on a "to check" list.

If you think on a normal car these take the engine weight and that's it. On our cars they also resolve some of the sideways loading when you corner - the driveshaft/lower link feed into the gearbox which is held in place by the rear mounts and the 2 engine mounts. Typical Chapman "one part does two jobs" thinking, pure genius or  being tight with the cash, your call  :)

Clutch-wise I don't have a picture but the outer cable is anchored on a bracket mounted on the engine block IIRC. If yours is bolted on the chassis I'll get a photo of mine tomorrow and post up.

Finally yeah, now you've got a lotus you don't need any more amusements to keep you busy......

Offline phil

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,May 08, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
Hello,

Ive had a look at the mountings and they all look fine, my clutch cable is mounted on a chassis bracket (see pic), however I have looked in my workshop manual and it says that if there is clutch judder to fit a new bracket (AO74 Q 0053Z) to the engine block (see pic).
Will try and track one down!

Phil
« Last Edit: Sunday,May 08, 2016, 11:47:07 AM by phil »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,May 08, 2016, 10:20:13 PM »
Hey, you could be on to a result here Phil !  I didn't realise it was in the manual, it just shows these cars were made when people actually read instructions....  ;)

I'll try to take some measurements and a photo of mine this morning and post up. From memory it's nothing special and should be easy to make one.

Edit to add - a couple of shots of the bracket on my car. It's quite a chunky thing, 1/4" plate at least. Bolts onto the engine block at the lower front as you can see. The black tape wrapped thing in the picture is the front part of the gear selector tubing. 
« Last Edit: Monday,May 09, 2016, 09:56:12 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline phil

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,May 15, 2016, 07:44:42 AM »
Hello Brian,

Many thanks for the info, I spoke to Richard at Banks, he knew all about the bracket required, he made one and sent it out same day.
I have just fitted it and it has made the world of difference, no more judder.
I looked on the R Dent website and they also sell the brackets.

Regards     Phil :)