Author Topic: Lotus F1 - the 98T  (Read 1389 times)

Offline BDA

Lotus F1 - the 98T
« on: Friday,December 18, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »
This link came into inbox this morning. It gives a good description of the Lotus 98T F1 car.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/our-news/the-power-and-the-glory-lotus-98t/

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Lotus F1 - the 98T
« Reply #1 on: Friday,December 18, 2015, 02:36:12 PM »
Thanks for that. It was a good read, and provided some good insight into the crazy turbo era.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 07:13:15 AM »
Thanks for that. It was a good read, and provided some good insight into the crazy turbo era.

BDA...Could you be starting another thread?...I know Senna was your favorite! Here's a early xmas present (in the 97T)
 I've got loads of pictures...ld
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 07:19:21 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
Lou, this was serendipitous as it came in my email. I was patiently waiting for you to get to Blackbeauty, and the turbo cars. I just don't have near the picture collection to start a real thread.

Senna my favorite... I guess, but that's not to diminish the stature of Clark, Hill, Peterson, Andretti, or Rindt (of Lotus drivers). They all had their strengths. Sometimes it's how I feel at the moment. Senna was maybe the most maniacally obsessed which is both a positive and negative.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
Lou, this was serendipitous as it came in my email. I was patiently waiting for you to get to Blackbeauty, and the turbo cars. I just don't have near the picture collection to start a real thread.

Senna my favorite... I guess, but that's not to diminish the stature of Clark, Hill, Peterson, Andretti, or Rindt (of Lotus drivers). They all had their strengths. Sometimes it's how I feel at the moment. Senna was maybe the most maniacally obsessed which is both a positive and negative.

Still have more to get to on the  49 & 72...the rest will have to wait...However, I must agree that Ayrton had it all. ld
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 02:46:25 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 04:21:11 PM »
I'm patient.  :) Your pictures and commentary are worth the wait!

Senna was ruthless (that article explains more fully just how much), Clark was smooth (I also understand that Gurney was very smooth too, exemplified by the fact that it is said that he was much easier on parts like brake pads, dog rings, etc. than were other drivers). Clark and Senna died so young. Who knows what they could have done. Sadly, their ages wouldn't have allowed them to compete on even terms, but wouldn't that have been an amazing clash of personalities!

I have seen people discuss how when Senna drives, his car seems to dance - even in the straights. In one video, Martin Brundle was amazed at how Senna could do that saying he couldn't do that. Ok, but my question is why would you want to. Was it possibly a side effect to the turbo cars back then? Any thoughts?