Author Topic: brakes, just about to give up and dump car s2 1969  (Read 1264 times)

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
Re: brakes, just about to give up and dump car s2 1969
« Reply #30 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »
Finally got 'some'brakes,   the vacuum bleeder is the problem,  I now assume it does not work on this car for some reason.   bleed the very old fashion way, with a bottle on the floor with the
tube inside the fluid,   allowed gravity to bleed brakes,   15 minutes on each corner,  no pushing pedal, no tool except gravity and finally got some brakes,  in my 60 years of doing brakes
this has been the hardest I have ever had to do.

as soon as you enough brakes to go out on the open road with no leaks or pedal going to the floor, re-adjust the rear brakes & drive the car, after a few miles the brakes will improve once the MC seals & wheel cylinder seals are forced out in the bore & some warmth is fed into the system, then open the nipple on each wheel and see if there is any more air left in it.
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #31 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 01:31:39 PM »
Well done Mike, that’s great news

Offline mwstobbe

« Reply #32 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 03:58:50 PM »
I've got a couple of brake bleeding tips.  A steady stream of bubbles at all four corners strongly suggests air is being sucked in at the bleed screw threads.  This can be dealt with by opening the bleed screw only on the downstroke, and closing it before the pedal is lifted.  This is a pain, and requires coordination between the wheel man and the pedal man.  A better way is to seal the bleed screw threads with E-Z Turn as suggested, which makes bleeding a one-man operation.  If your car is a Federal model, it's probably got the "brake fail warning light valve".  I've heard these can cause difficulty while bleeding, and the suggestion is to simultaneously bleed a front wheel and a rear wheel at the same time, so the plunger in the valve won't move to cut off flow to the wheel being bled.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #33 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 05:05:11 PM »
Good to hear, Mike.  :beerchug:

My must difficult were for a jet tug that used DC3 brakes over an pressurized air source , 4 accumulators . They were also reverse bleeding 🤯.
Dakazman