Author Topic: brakes, just about to give up and dump car s2 1969  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Dilkris

Re: brakes, just about to give up and dump car s2 1969
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,May 20, 2021, 10:52:11 AM »
Now it makes sense.....  :))

Offline Clifton

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,May 20, 2021, 01:36:44 PM »
Pics of the car for sale. It runs? Easy fix for someone.

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #17 on: Thursday,May 20, 2021, 01:59:11 PM »
is the car fitted with the original Girling servo or a modern Lockheed replacement ?
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,May 20, 2021, 03:19:21 PM »
No servos in a 69 S2. It is a shame to sell the car all because of a defective rebuilt master brake cylinder.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,May 20, 2021, 05:54:52 PM »
No, not cheap.
But does sound like the hot trick for leaky bleed screws.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php

Offline Gary t

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,May 20, 2021, 07:11:50 PM »
Ez turn in another life we had a tube for fuel valves it was a miracle worker. Valves that no one ever turned off because of how stiff they were became silky smooth low torque as they should be.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #21 on: Thursday,May 20, 2021, 10:47:05 PM »
that's it.    I spent another 2 hours, removed mast double check every   every part.   pressure bled gets LOTS of air on every corner.  real bad lots of air,  bled again but with wify pushs pedal,
after 300 hours of work.   it is now for sale ,  my mental heath is more important then this.  10,000   gets the car and it has running rebuilt engine and new frame.  ready for paint. fu*k it.
Hi Mike,
I know this will be hard to believe from where you are but I'll bet every one of us on this forum has been in that position at some time or other. And not just the Europa, I've sat in the corner of the garage looking at plenty of cars and wondering where the matches are, so you're not alone here.

Lots of advice and I can't really add much other than;

1. I use clear plastic tubing on the bleed nipples with a non-return valve in the end. No reason other than it makes it easier for a one man job.
2. I made a stand that holds the bleed tube so that it rises upwards and forms a loop 3-4" above the bleed nipple. Easier to see air bubbles and they certainly ain't going to get sucked back into the caliper/cylinder against gravity.
3. I use PTFE threadseal tape (plumbers tape ?) on every nipple. It is easy to do as BDA says and draw air into the stream of fluid leaving the caliper, the tape usually stops that. 
4. I have used a pressure bleeder as well as the traditional pedal pushing, I've had equal amounts of success or failure with either method.
5. From hazy memory I think when I had rear drums I used to pull the handbrake on before bleeding. My logic was that the piston travels to it's max on first push and should stay there during the process. Don't know if it made any practical difference, but I did it.
6. You might not like this one, but during my brake upgrade sessions I had a lot of trouble at one point so I pulled off the calipers and rotated them whilst bleeding. There is no logic behind that idea with this caliper design but....  I did get a single bubble out. Yes, I know it shouldn't, but it did. Whether it was rotating or just plain vibration/movement, but I definitely dislodged some air (probably in the caliper body)  with that process.

Finally, if you've got a steady stream of air then there must be a leak somewhere. My bet would be bleed nipples but it could be anywhere. As you're obviously a handy guy with spanners I'd be tempted to block off the rear circuit by using bleed nipples in place of the bundy pipe and just bleed the front to see if you can get a good pedal there, maybe even start with one caliper.

Brian
ps - it's frustrating now but just think how good you're going to feel once it's done !

Offline cwtech

« Reply #22 on: Friday,May 21, 2021, 05:23:02 AM »
An easy way to prevent air ingestion at the bleed nipples is to put a dollop of chassis grease on the threads where the bleeder meets the caliper.

The bleeder only needs to be opened 1/2 to 1 turn.

Is the bleeder for the caliper at the highest point?  ....On some calipers the bleeder is not at the top, so the caliper must be bled un-mounted.

If there is no leakage at fittings or lines, air can be ingested at caliper piston seals, wheel cylinder seals, and bleed nipples.  ...Loose-fitting hoses attached to the bleeders can also allow air entry during the bleeding process.

There is ALWAYS an answer to a problem!  ...Some answers just take longer to discover.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #23 on: Friday,May 21, 2021, 06:12:32 AM »
If you are using a pressure bleeder, then air won’t be “sucked” into the system.  You are feeding pressurized brake fluid through the reservoir.  This is an excellent method though it can get messy.

However, many people say “pressure bleeder” when they are actually using a vacuum bleeder.  Vacuum bleeders can draw in air from a variety of places as they put negative pressure on seals not designed for it.  I do not recommend using a vacuum bleeder for this reason.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 03:20:32 AM »
Mike, I’ve bought many stalled projects from frustrated owners who were very close to complete their years long project. They gave up because something was taking too long to replace/repair. In the end, all the hard work was already done and the new owner (me) just had to tidy up a few things and walla, the car was on the road.

Over the years I have learned it’s best to walk away for a day or two when frustration sets in. Think about the problem, research what others have done on the internet. When your ready, go back and check every connection in the brake system for a leak, your pulling air from somewhere and it’s probably a fitting or the push rod into the master cylinder is the wrong length.

Another huge help is to have a mechanically inclined friend to help you. Two heads are better than one and usually one of those heads will come up with the right solution very calmly.

Advice from a guy who has done many frame off restorations. Don’t give up!
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 06:06:03 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #25 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 04:09:32 AM »
Are the brake lines new? A line with a pin hole from rust can give you fits .....
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #26 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 05:04:52 AM »
Don't sell...please.....you are so close. You will get there

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 11:12:06 PM »
May have some liquid funds soon, but after looking at a map the car is about as far from me as possible without being on another continent.  :headbanger:

Offline mike alain

• 5 years to build (with help)
« Reply #28 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 06:12:37 AM »
Finally got 'some'brakes,   the vacuum bleeder is the problem,  I now assume it does not work on this car for some reason.   bleed the very old fashion way, with a bottle on the floor with the
tube inside the fluid,   allowed gravity to bleed brakes,   15 minutes on each corner,  no pushing pedal, no tool except gravity and finally got some brakes,  in my 60 years of doing brakes
this has been the hardest I have ever had to do.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #29 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 06:20:00 AM »
Progress, albeit slow, but you are heading in the right direction.

How do the bubbles come out if you are relying on gravity? I thought bubbles rise to the top.