Author Topic: Mating a TC gearbox to the block  (Read 189 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Mating a TC gearbox to the block
« on: Monday,May 17, 2021, 11:38:27 PM »
Having had considerable problems getting the gearbox to mate up to the block, I have devised a way of making it easier.

I put a trolley jack under the front bottom arm mounting plate of the bell-housing, and get the bell-housing near the block.

Then I attach a rachet strap to the back of the gearbox hung from the garage ceiling.

Then I fit 100mm long 3/8 UNF bolts to the top 2 holes of the bell-housing into the block to align the gearbox to the block, then I get the gearbox at the correct angle to the block using the rachet strap, and slide the gearbox along the long bolts so the spigot bearing goes through the clutch plate and into the crank at the correct angle.

Has anyone found a better method of aligning the bell-housing to the block easily? 

Don't forget that the angle of the block to do this can only be achieved with the water pump hose disconnected from the long tube at the front of the engine.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Mating a TC gearbox to the block
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 18, 2021, 12:24:31 AM »
When I did my clutch a while ago, I had a trolley jack underneath the gearbox to take the load. I'd used the engine lift to get it out but tried the jack because it was easier/finer to adjust the height.

It wasn't easy though, plenty of huffing & puffing before getting a couple of bolts in place. Then I drew it along the same as you did from the description. I couldn't have pushed/slid it into place, I'm just not strong enough. 

Brian