Author Topic: Fuel feed project  (Read 449 times)

Offline Exlimey

Fuel feed project
« on: Saturday,September 04, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »
It has always seemed strange that with gravity feed fuel tanks there is no way to shut off the fuel,for instance to change a fuel filter. So, purchased two fuel shut off valves from Summit,siphoned then drained the tanks,and fitted them close to each tank.Easy to reach if I need to shut off. Or,I can use one tank as a reserve.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Fuel feed project
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,September 04, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »
I prefer to keep it simple. Wait until the tanks run low to change a filter, undo the rubber connector and fill the hole with the correct sized drill to stop any leaks.

The twin tanks are designed to drain down together to equalise the weight either side. If you shut off the left tank on its own, your fuel gauge will give a false reading.

The shut off valves would have to be very close to each tank, accessible only from below, so not easy to shut off without jacking up and supporting the car quite high off the ground.

Just a question of personal taste (and of course adding weight !).

Online BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,September 04, 2021, 09:01:59 AM »
I agree with 4129R about reserve tanks but I like the idea for changing fuel filters. I have an in-line filter shortly after each tank and as it sits, I’ll have a mess when it’s time to change the filter elements. Just replaced my electric fuel pump and those shut off valves would have come in handy then too!

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,September 04, 2021, 09:32:46 AM »
In actual fact,I have the shut offs right by the tank outlets,I can reach either without even kneeling. As for the weight,a tank full is about 60lbs. A passenger ???

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 07, 2021, 06:14:41 AM »
The next project on my Special will be a complete fuel system renewal, and fitting shut-off valves is part of the plan. I like the ones you posted. A couple years ago my fuel tanks drained into the engine sump through the fuel pump, so I've been a bit paranoid about that ever since. Also, draining the tanks to perform any system maintenance or repair is a pain, especially since the outlet to my right tank is partially blocked with solder, and the tank takes all afternoon to drain.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 07, 2021, 01:36:05 PM »
It’s not a good idea to put a fuel filter before the fuel pump.  An inlet screen inside the tank to keep the gravel out?  Sure.  A filter with an easily plugged element?  No.  A pump can pump through much more that it can suck through.  If you look at OEM set-ups, any filter is always after the pump for this reason.  The fuel pump also works as a check valve making filter changes very easy.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 07, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
Engine driven fuel pumps require regular replacement or rebuilding.  Diaphragms get old and fail and fill the sump with gas where it can explode. 

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 07, 2021, 10:26:00 PM »
It’s not a good idea to put a fuel filter before the fuel pump.  An inlet screen inside the tank to keep the gravel out?  Sure.  A filter with an easily plugged element?  No.  A pump can pump through much more that it can suck through.  If you look at OEM set-ups, any filter is always after the pump for this reason.  The fuel pump also works as a check valve making filter changes very easy.

I'm not sure that's always the case John. I have a Facet pump in the Elan and the fitting instructions explicitly state an inline filter before the pump inlet. Theirs is a 74micron filter, (human hair thickness) so it's not ultra fine but neither is it just a screen.

Brian