Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Paint restoration

<< < (3/4) > >>

surfguitar58:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah, looking at those pics again has me rethinking my cocky "surprisingly intact" paint assessment in my original post. I guess the good news is the consensus says I can skip the labor intensive compounding process. Woo hoo!
t

dakazman:
You still have a remarkably original vechicle . It is my favorite color. My daughter wanted black , the paint code on my car is sand . So I’m not original in that respect. Love to see more pictures when you clean her up.
Dakazman

BDA:
Yeah, surf's car looks just like the first one I had! I liked the color, too so when I was ready to send my car to the body shop for paint, I chose a nice white ('95 Corvette white, I had no idea that the original Lotus colors could be recreated or I might had them do that).

Sherman Kaplan:
My TCS also has it's original paint. It was last driven in 1980 and the paint was heavily oxidized.  It also has the usual stress cracks and crazing.  However, since the car is so original I have also decided to keep the paint.  I am a fan of Griot's Garage products, but I know there are others that are just as good.  I first used their clay bar to clean the paint and then used their complete compound and then finished with their best of show wax.   For the complete compound and wax I used their random orbital polisher (I don't think you would get the same results by hand).  I went over the striping with no damage.   I could not believe the difference.   I don't know if this picture will show the results.

Regards,
Sherman

surfguitar58:

--- Quote from: Sherman Kaplan on Tuesday,December 05, 2017, 07:34:46 PM ---My TCS also has it's original paint. It was last driven in 1980 and the paint was heavily oxidized.  It also has the usual stress cracks and crazing.  However, since the car is so original I have also decided to keep the paint.  I am a fan of Griot's Garage products, but I know there are others that are just as good.  I first used their clay bar to clean the paint and then used their complete compound and then finished with their best of show wax.   For the complete compound and wax I used their random orbital polisher (I don't think you would get the same results by hand).  I went over the striping with no damage.   I could not believe the difference.   I don't know if this picture will show the results.

Regards,
Sherman

--- End quote ---

Thanks Sherman, great looking results. I'm now thinking I may lightly machine compound the non-pimpled areas and do a light hand-rub of the problem spots before careful polish and wax. Your results are encouraging. Did you have any blistering like mine?
Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version