Author Topic: 3675R Restoration  (Read 33256 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: 3675R Restoration
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday,January 29, 2013, 05:45:51 AM »
Looking great, Chris. I'll be interested to see how you make out with your rear window installation. I have to replace the rear window seal on my car and I'll be looking to gain some knowledge on this when the time comes.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #61 on: Saturday,February 02, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
My dad has made the seat belt push buttons! He is GOOD!

The second picture was taken before he put in the JB weld between the gaps. They look good, and they work!! Can't wait until the stickers come in so they will be finished!
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 02, 2013, 05:29:10 PM by TheKid#9 »

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #62 on: Monday,February 04, 2013, 07:25:57 PM »
My dad and I have done a lot these past few days! We finished the seat belt buttons!!!

Finished installing the rear window(See picture 2 for the tools we used to install window), except the locking strip we will do that next time. We covered our door handle pulls and around them to make them look flush when the panels go in. Got the windshield edge trim in and got the A-pillars glued in, we will finish the rest of those once the carpet and door seals goes in. Our crash pad got back from the shop too! Its a different material than the rest because we didn't want it to reflect the light onto the windshield, so we put a flat material on it, and it looks great!

We did a lot! We will try and do even more next time!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #63 on: Monday,February 04, 2013, 10:58:40 PM »
Hi,

It's looking good (as usual  :) )

Can I ask about the black vinyl material you're using for trimming ? Did you buy it recently and if so, where from ?  I'm going to need some later on this year and the place I normally buy my trimming materials from hasn't had any of that large pattern material in for quite some time now.  I assume it's somewhere in the US, but I've no problem with importing to the UK if they'll agree to send some.

Brian

Offline CLW

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday,February 05, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »
The material is not original. I just matched up one at the upholsterers shop. I think it is made by Spradling and called Allegro Coal PT511743. There is also a similar one number PT5115451 that has a little less grain pattern.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday,February 05, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
Thanks for the lead, it's good to know that such things are available. It was the large grain that has been the problem at my usual suppliers, all the patterns they have are noticeably smaller patterns. I'll do a bit of googling with those leads and see what I can come up with.

Brian

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #66 on: Sunday,February 17, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
Update- My dad and I got some things done this weekend.
We fitted a resister to the coil because the electronic ignition we have on it needs a 3 OHM resistance. Afterwards we fired it up again today, just to make sure everything worked! It sounds incredible!! However my mom got pissed off because all the smoke alarms went off when we stated it and she had to go outside to get away from the noise. We aren't going to start again until we move the car the other way around where the exhaust if facing outside the garage.

We also made sure that all of our gauges are working, which they are! We fitted the window frames and glass, and glued in our A-pillar strips. We have the dash and crash pad fitted now!! It looks great! Just need to do some final trimming up on that and we will be good to go, oh and a little more wiring needs to be done, but as of right now everything works and is looking good!!  :D

Finally got all the air out of our brake lines and the brake pedal feels good! We ordered a front spoiler a couple days ago, should be here soon. Put our pioneer speakers in our door panels, and they look good and match my 70's pioneer radio I have! I also completed my tool kit! My upholstery shop made me a nice bag, which is close the the original, and I got the wrench and the screw driver, to finish it!  :)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #67 on: Monday,February 18, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
The tool bag look fantastic.  :beerchug:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #68 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 06:22:50 AM »
It's all looking great, Chris. I'm imagining the grins as you listen to this thing run. You must be getting very excited to get on the road. As Joe mentioned, the tool bag looks great. Can you imaging actually working on a Europa with these crude, clunky tools.  :-\
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline cal44

« Reply #69 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
Chris,

give a little definition on the tool bag if you would.  Mainly the inside material.  Is that burlap sourced from let's say a bag of potatoes?  or, what did you use?  Originally a stout loose square weave (forget the the name) was used on the backing of the plastic.  Also, what did you attach it with? Hot glue for instance?

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #70 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
Chris,

give a little definition on the tool bag if you would.  Mainly the inside material.  Is that burlap sourced from let's say a bag of potatoes?  or, what did you use?  Originally a stout loose square weave (forget the the name) was used on the backing of the plastic.  Also, what did you attach it with? Hot glue for instance?

Mike

Thanks for the great comments on the tool bag everyone!
Mike- The tool bag was made by my upholstery shop! Not sure how they made it quite this good, but I think this is how they did it. It is made from burlap (I know that), and than raped in leather and stitched around the burlap. I also made them make holes for the tools just like the originals, which the leather was stitched to the burlap and made a hole for them. I can post more pictures if needed...

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #71 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 11:34:35 AM »
Update!

Finished the crash pad and bolted the dash all the way in! Everything looks great and all the grounds are hooked up and everything is working! Bolted the steering column up as well, we will put the steering wheel on later after we get all the wires up and carpet in.  :)

We fitted the passenger side window frame, and glass. We put in our window motor too; however, when we pressed our button up the window went up but not all the way. Its a about half an inch at most away from the top, and we don't know how to fix it... My dad wants to cut the arm off and weld it back to a more upward position to raise the window up more to make it seal at the top. Has anyone had trouble with this?? We are confused and scared that the other one will do the same...

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday,March 12, 2013, 08:33:23 PM »
Update!!
We did a lot this weekend! Interior is finished with the exception of the interior door panels, wiring up speakers and getting our window motors in and making those work! Seat belts are in too. Got our front spoiler, painted it, than put that on. Put the spare tire in with the jack and tool kit in the front compartment. We will put the hood on later. We probably did more but I can't remember.

We won't be working on the car for the next 2 weekends. This weekend I have a soccer tournament and than the next is Spring Break. However after that we will be back at it again and hope to finish it very soon!!!

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday,March 13, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
 :coolpic: Excellent work....almost done
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

« Reply #74 on: Wednesday,March 13, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
We couldn't wait for spring break.........so we could work on our cars..............
Considering my grades...........everyday day was spring break.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines