Author Topic: What does your Europa look like *today* ?  (Read 109839 times)

Offline Stuartm

Re: What does your Europa look like *today* ?
« Reply #75 on: Sunday,October 13, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
 :newhere:

My Europa Twin Cam Special 1973

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #76 on: Sunday,October 13, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Stuart. Now that's one very clean looking car and those slot mags bring back some memories. At one point I felt like they were everywhere but these days they're a rare sight.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #77 on: Sunday,October 13, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
Dang..........that car is so clean...........Stuart............is this the first time it's been out of the garage?

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #78 on: Monday,October 14, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
Ready to race in season 2014  :pirate:

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #79 on: Monday,October 14, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
I find it interesting that almost all Europa owners are still using the factory issued broom handle to hold the rear lid open. Although I see you have special edition version, painted the same color as the car.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2013, 07:14:27 AM »
:newhere:

My Europa Twin Cam Special 1973
Welcome to the forum, Stuart. I agree with the others, that is one seriously clean looking Europa. I love the period wheels. It seems that period pictures of Europas frequently showed these wheels, but today you hardly ever see them. Does your car get driven much?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2013, 07:16:26 AM »
Ready to race in season 2014  :pirate:
Mecky, that has to be one of the most seriously mean looking Europas I've ever seen. I'd love to ride along a couple of hard laps in something like that. Very cool.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
Hi Mecky,

Have you lowered the car this season ?  The chunky wheels/tyres caught my eye first and then it hit me just how much lower it is than a standard car.  If so I'd be interested to know what spring rates you're using to get away with that sort of set-up.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #83 on: Tuesday,October 15, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
Dang Mecky,

that is the baddest looking Europa I've ever seen.  It is now my computer screen background picture.
If it goes as good as it looks..........well hell yes............. (hillbilly talk 101).

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2013, 03:30:12 AM »
Hi chaps,

thanks for the compliments  ^-^ We have lowered the Europa's height in the middle of 2012 from 10 cm down to 7 cm at the lowest points. I don't know the spring rates without looking them up. I'll try to not forget it next time.

I don't think that rinding along in the pessengers seat is such a good idea. It is a go-kart seat without seat-belts and its fixed with two little screws in the bottom and one thin Aluminium support :-D

Maybe it is now as good as it looks. The engine was tuned by the best known historic Renault race car tuning company in Germany and already ran 10 hours at the dyno. With 160 HP and 180 Nm it should move the 670 kg quite fast. Before the next season begins, we are definetly going to test the car at Zolder. No more races are entered, before the Europa showed its ability to survive a few long runs.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »
7cm  ?    :huh:

Wow, that's low. Is it measured under the central chassis or as the lowest possible contact at the anti-roll bar mounts on the front dampers ?  Heck, it makes me smile to think that I was driving myself round the bend wondering if dropping mine from the standard 15cm to 12-13cm would be a mod too far !

I would be interested in the spring rates though. Until this year I would never have considered changing from standard but this summer I replaced the Elan's suspension with adjustable dampers and stronger springs, going from 75/67.5 lbs/ins standard to 140/120 lbs/ins and it's made an incredible difference to the car.   I can't help but wonder if the same trick would work with the Europa (different rates of course)

Brian

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »
The 7 cm are measured at the lowest point of the whole car and that is the rear end of the door sill. Because the car must be able to roll above a 6 cm high and 80 cm wide block of wood, the anti-roll bar mounts are not relevant. But this block must also be able to be pushed underneath the car from the left to the right between front and rear wheels. We can't go down to 6 cm, because that would cause the front tires to touch the fender.

Offline 7upJohn

« Reply #87 on: Friday,October 25, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
This is what my Europa looks like today...... almost done

Offline 3929R

« Reply #88 on: Monday,October 28, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline StephenH

« Reply #89 on: Saturday,November 09, 2013, 10:08:24 PM »
Weather has been a little ordinary this weekend, so some overdue investigations into the wiring and where a few smoke pipes were connected.
Thermostat and fan relay now wired correctly (was working, but the override switch on dash wasn't connected properly (now functional).
Headlight dipper now has 2 positions rather than 3.5 and the flasher works, however only a patch up as switch block is cracked and needs replacement.
Horn now capable of a honk (if you don't mind holding the wires together under the dash), however wiring up to the horn push was dodgy (removed) and had been wrapped around the shaft, no slip ring or pencil contact present (next job).
Revised horn mount to take some stress of the fibreglass.
Pulled apart a few grounding and power connections, cleaned, wiped in anti-corrosive contact 'goo', assembled, taped or ties as appropriate.
Slipped some rubbing strips in around the radiator hoses where they are a bit tight to the aluminium bulkhead.
Shoved the camera up into the central chassis spine to check all was good (tick) and check if the mounting holes and plates for the rollover hoop brace (runs from the hoop to the chassis spine) were present (tick).
Need to fabricate a new 2-piece 'console' so I can fit the brace (will feel a little safer and give the passenger an 'oh Jesus' handle.
Looked at what I need to install a second fire extinguisher (drivers side and within reach while strapped in).
Wrote a few notes and came inside for a cuppa.

Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2