Author Topic: Time to sell...  (Read 2525 times)

Offline EuropaJPS

Time to sell...
« on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 12:34:07 AM »
Hi guys,

Well, it is with a heavy heart that I have decided that I have to sell JPS #83 :(

It was rebuilt by Richard Winter this time last year - so as you can imagine she is a beauty. I just don't have the time to dedicate to it unfortunately and I really want it to be used properly - it is a drivers car after all!!

So, with that in mind (and that I am based in the UK), where are the best places to consider advertising? Club Lotus? I have used AutoTrader once before and the experience left an awful taste what with all the scams and con artists emailing/calling every 5 minutes!

I also need to have a think about a fair price....sad times!!

Offline Gmg31

Re: Time to sell...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 04:51:08 AM »
Really sorry to hear that but this is a very very bad time to sell your car.  There was a Stunning upgraded gold leaf Banks Europa went for only £13k a few weeks ago.  If you must sell wait till spring.  Good Luck

Offline EuropaJPS

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 05:08:41 AM »
Ouch, that is depressing!!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
Really sorry to hear this. As point of reference, I sold my JPS #188 in September of last year here in California. The only places I advertised the car was in the for sale sections of LotusEuropa.org, Lotus Europa Central and Craigs list. The eventual buyer saw the ad in one of the three, forgot to ask him which one. I suppose you can try ebay and pay the 14% (?) sellers fee but I chose not to. I did get a lot of bona fide interest for the cars ( I was selling two Europas at the same time) from the ads.

Thinking of asking price, Europas seem to be going for a lot higher price over on your side of the ocean than over here in the states. My asking price was $25k USD, I accepted $22K. Comparing cars and not having seen yours in person, the major advantage that I can see is the much better paint job on your JPS (see my car here http://www.lotuseuropa.org/gallery/73-Original-JPS). I believe yours is at least a $25K car here in the states and should sell for much higher in the UK. Good luck

Should add that the eventual buyer was from Belgium visiting the US buying cars to ship back to Belgium. 
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 08:49:03 AM by Grumblebuns »

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
Im in the middle of restoring a car and I search all Europas for sale in the Uk every Week.whilst I would like to agree with Grumbleweed I'm afraid that isn't the current position in the Uk. Prices are very low and many of the ones I've looked at are cheaper that the collection of parts I have in my garage. You would not believe the gold leaf one that sold on eBay a few weeks ago.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
Sorry you'll be leaving us, EuropaJPS. I'm surprised at the low price for that car! Hopefully, you'll get a better price. They had been steadily going up in the States for the last ten years or so. I think Gmg31 is right that the spring is probably a better time to sell.

Best of luck to you! I hope you get a good price!

:lotus:

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »
In what might be a cautionary tale, a nice Europa listed for $25,000 failed to garner any bids...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotus-Other-/281913837239?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41a35fc6b7:g:88oAAOSwL7VWnnI0&item=281913837239&autorefresh=true

Offline EuropaJPS

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
Thanks guys. It looks like I may well be waiting until summer then and hope that prices improve! It is not a financially motivated decision - but I don't want to give it away. If I am looking at selling for £13k then I would be loosing a LOT of money! Ouch!

Here she is for others that may not have seen her before!!

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=965.0

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 01:16:42 PM »
She is stunningly beautiful and built by a real pro! Good luck when you put her on the block!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 01:21:33 PM »
The car is beautiful and nice original black JPS cars aren't that common so I'd expect a premium.

Having said that,  I have no idea about current market value but I have noticed that the earlier S2 cars are creeping up over here in the UK, which should be reflected in your car as well. This year will be the 50th anniversary of the original S1 and as the 50th anniversary caused a surge in Elan values, the same could be true here if the Classic press gets behind the car (or needs column inches  filling :)  )

Restoration projects and running cars sell easily and relatively cheaply but we all know the real cost of restoring an old car, so don't let that drag your valuation down. I think with these cars it's a case of just waiting until a buyer comes along, so patience is needed. 

Personally I'd have a word with Richard because as probably the "go to" guy in the UK for Europa's he'll know the market and might even get calls asking if he knows of any for sale. The other place you see them cropping up is Paul Matty's, again a phone call to get a feel for the market there might be worth a shot.

Brian

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 03:40:26 PM »
Patience is a virtue...
I agree with the other posters to wait till the weather breaks. According to the Hagerty insurance value guide, a 100 point Europa (concours) should fetch at least $32-35 k here in the States. Looks like yours is very close to that figure. Depending on mileage and originality, and since it is a JPS 5 speed, add another $2-3 thousand.

Good luck...ld
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 04:02:06 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,January 27, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »
Hi Europa JPS, If you go on to Richards site there is a pin boar where you can place your add. You have nothing to loose
all the best with the sale