Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Registering an Imported Car in the UK

<< < (2/8) > >>

4129R:
4 days after contacting my MP and only 3 days after my MP sent a letter to DVLA, I received the following today from DVLA:-

Good Morning

Apologies for the delay we were seeking further advice regarding the VIN number. Whilst I appreciate your explanations in your correspondence to us we do need to verify these things ourselves also. We have carried out our checks and are satisfied with the vehicle. I have returned your application to our first registration and imports department who will process your application as urgent.

Providing the first registration department are happy that you have provided them with everything they need to legally import the vehicle you should receive your new V5 in the next 10 days, if they need to speak to you regarding anything they will be in contact.

It seems a kick up the backside from my MP was what was needed to get them to extract their digit.

BDA:
All it took was an act of (a member of) Parliament!

4129R:
Bureaucracy at its finest.

EuropaTC:

--- Quote from: DVLA on Friday,March 15, 2024, 05:56:33 AM ---Apologies for the delay we were seeking further advice regarding the VIN number. Whilst I appreciate your explanations in your correspondence to us we do need to verify these things ourselves also. We have carried out our checks and are satisfied with the vehicle.

--- End quote ---

Given that you'd contacted Lotus themselves who explained that some records no longer existed and you'd sent a photo of the VIN plate in evidence, I wonder just where they were "seeking further advice" from ? 

Deliberately Vague, Lazy Ars....   I think we can all work that out. I've no faith at all with the current organisation although in the early 80s they did provide a folder packed with all the previous history of my Elan, copies of logbooks, etc, for a fiver. Mind you, it also included data for someone's Hillman as well......   :)

4129R:

--- Quote from: EuropaTC on Friday,March 15, 2024, 11:26:23 PM ---
Given that you'd contacted Lotus themselves who explained that some records no longer existed and you'd sent a photo of the VIN plate in evidence, I wonder just where they were "seeking further advice" from ? 

--- End quote ---

Those were exactly my thoughts. With a letter from the manufacturers, and a Certificate of Providence from Lotus Records, what else did they expect, what further evidence could I provide? Did they actually contact Lotus or were they just checking with their superior line manager who takes 10 weeks to find?

For my 4 previous registrations, they had sent someone to actually view the car to look at the VIN and engine number, but this time, they seem to have accepted my paperwork with help from my MP. 

I have 2 more to register, I just hope they will go through without 6 months of bureaucracy and delay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version