Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Rebuilding the TC mechanical fuel pump

(1/2) > >>

LotusJoe:

EuropaTC:
Ahhh, that's a blast from the past and no mistake. I remember doing the one on the Elan way back in the 80s, fiddling about with those flap valves and being so pleased when it actually worked afterwards !

Brian

Bainford:
I did mine a few years ago. Dealing with the staking that retains the valves was a bit tricky. Not difficult, but without instruction, I was unsure about grinding away the old staking with a Dremel, and establishing new stakes during assembly. Like Brian, I was pleased it actually worked when I put it all back together.

4129R:
I have just had fuel pump failure, so I am about to recondition the 3 spare pumps I have.

Presumably you carefully grind away the depressions holding the valves in place, remove the disc valves, and then dent the ally rim to hold them in.

I also presume the valves are one way and you have to fit them the right way around.

Any tips?

4129R:

--- Quote from: 4129R on Monday,October 30, 2023, 10:03:31 AM ---I have just had fuel pump failure, so I am about to recondition the 3 spare pumps I have.

Presumably you carefully grind away the depressions holding the valves in place, remove the disc valves, and then dent the ally rim to hold them in.

I also presume the valves are one way and you have to fit them the right way around.

Any tips?

--- End quote ---

I gave up removing the "staking". I was afraid I would damage the aluminium casing around the valve.

I have just ordered a new glass bowl pump from SJ Sportscars for about £100.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version