Author Topic: My 72 Europa SS  (Read 36102 times)

Offline Sofa King

Re: My 72 Europa SS
« Reply #390 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »
Sorry it’s been a while since I updated my project! I just added a vent to my hood to try to help keep some of the radiator heat out of the cabin. I won’t be able to test it until the weather warms!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #391 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
Nice touch Sofa. It should vent the hot air well.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #392 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:46:57 AM »
Updating my progress on getting the cabin to be cooler: I have added a light window tint, additional insulation in the tunnel and the hood vent and radiator ducting. We have had a couple of 70+ degree days and the heat inside the cabin has decreased dramatically! The hood and ducking seem to have made the biggest difference. We will see what happens when temps hit the 80s, but it has to be better than it was.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #393 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »
I'm getting ready to do a hood vent too. I also have a front mount radiator. More efficient but oh, the cabin heat. As the speeds went up, so did the warm draft inside even though I sealed everything possible. I drove with no hood and the coolant temp didn't budge and the a/c was a lot cooler. It was 86 out side. Did you shroud everything to the duct? Did you shroud everything to the duct? I'm curious on how yours helps.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #394 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »
I did shroud the radiator to the hood vent. I will post a photo this evening.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #395 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 12:06:40 PM »
Here is the shot of the duct that I built.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #396 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 03:44:22 PM »
Good job. Gives me some ideas. What did you use to form it for the fiberglass? I was thinking .030 or .060" ABS sheet, unless there is something better.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #397 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »
I carefully measured where and how big the hood scoop needed to be, then cut the two sides and the front. I used a flapper disc to carefully thin out the fiberglass on the flap that was cut. Once it was thin enough to bend to the desired shape, I used a couple of pieces of 2x4 to hold it in place. The sides are flat pieces of fiberglass that were left over from the original floor. I cut them to the required shape and held them in place using metal clips and self tapping screws. With everything in place I coverd all of the joints in fiberglas cloth and resin. The kick up on the leading edge was shaped using short strand fiberglas bondo. The duct work is aluminum.