Author Topic: S2 Restoration Thread - September 2015  (Read 5074 times)

Offline Nick in Beds

S2 Restoration Thread - September 2015
« on: Monday,September 21, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
Hi All,

As I said on my introduction post in the Garage, I am starting a thread on my S2 restoration.  This first post shows the pictures from the ebay listing of the car as bought - this was a few weeks ago now and there has been some progress which will follow shortly.

Rgds, Nick.

Offline Nick in Beds

Re: S2 Restoration Thread - September 2015
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 21, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
And this was the advert wording:

Item specifics:
Condition:  Used:
Seller notes:  “Part Restored, requires completion although many parts will be included in sale.”
Year: 1969
 Engine Size: 1,565
 Manufacturer: Lotus
 Transmission: Manual
 Model: Europa
 Fuel: Petrol
 Doors: 2
 Seats: 2
 Colour: White
 Drive Side: Right-hand drive
 Reg. Date: 01/08/1969
 Type: Sports

Fantastic opportunity to complete the restoration of a Lotus Europa S2.
This car has been garage stored for the last 12 years, unfortunately I can no longer give it the time it needs, and as it’s been sitting untouched for some time, I feel it would be better going to a new home where it can get the attention it needs for completion.
It has been part restored having had the front and rear suspension, running gear and brakes stripped and rebuilt, replacing suspect parts where necessary.
The Europa if fitted with a Renault 807 1565cc crossflow engine which has been stripped and rebuilt, with new clutch pressure plate and friction plate fitted before assembling to gearbox and reinstalling in the car. A new high output alternator was fitted to replace the original unit that was seized. Whilst he engine was removed, the gear linkage ball joints were all replaced to ensure positive gear selection when completed. Twin pannier fuel tanks have been fitted and the engine / passenger bulkhead was strengthened to allow 4 point seatbelt mounting points installed.
The passenger compartment was stripped out and reconditioned heater matrix installed; a new dashboard has been made however this is still to be fitted, along with the steering column and wheel. The seats are included. but these require some attention before re-upholstering. The doors are currently removed to replace hinge pins and off side window winder.
There were some star cracks on the nearside rear body and engine cover that have been repaired by laying up a new surface layer of glass fibre and a strengthening layer on the underside of the side panel. The body has been repainted several times and in places the paint is beginning to crack and peel off; the whole body will need to be stripped before repainting.
You can see from the photographs that there is still a fair amount of work to be done to complete the restoration however most of the parts will be supplied with the vehicle when it is collected. Although the old wiring loom is available, I would recommend a total re-wire. A genuine Lotus user manual (both hard copy and on CD) will be supplied along with the V5C and previous V5 and some paperwork.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 21, 2015, 09:40:06 AM »
Looks like a good project! I'm looking forward to more pictures and progress! Let us know if you have any questions!

Good Luck!  :beerchug:

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 21, 2015, 09:48:35 AM »
Good luck with it!
Ahh the fun of stripping paint of Fibreglass and repairing the body!!!...

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Nick in Beds

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 08, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
When I got the car home and gave it a good look over (I did not view prior to purchase) it was evident that there had been some poor patches to the front chassis which I assume was to get an MOT some years ago.
So I decided to take the body off the chassis as the car was mostly stripped already.  I don't think the body had been off before as the bolts were seriously rusted in place, but with some force and an angle grinder the body was off.  I counted 20 bolts that needed to be removed from mine that directly attach the body to the chassis - this seems to differ from some others' experiences, I wonder if it is different between models?
I am glad I took this decision as there was additional corrosion on the front chassis cross member that was not visible with the body in place.  This has all been cut out and replaced with good metal, along with the removal of the dodgy patches and new ones welded in - not a massive amount considering the age of the car so I was quite pleased.

Offline Nick in Beds

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,October 08, 2015, 05:47:37 AM »
Here are the pictures ...

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,October 08, 2015, 06:39:19 AM »
You've certainly made a big improvement at the front of the frame!  :welder:

The S2 and TC frames and attachment are different. The S2 has attachment points behind the seats but the TC does not. I have surely forgotten where they are on the TC because I can only count six (two at the ends of the 'T', two at the bottom of the dash board, and two at the rear ends of the frame). Even figuring four behind each seat on the S2 doesn't come close to 20! Maybe somebody will remember the ones I've forgotten...

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,October 08, 2015, 08:21:08 AM »
Very neat work, was all the corrosion at the front end ? 

When I pulled mine apart many years ago I had a bit of rust at the rear end of the chassis central backbone plus the engine mounting points had corroded and although mostly in one piece, were on the thin side.

If that's all you've got then as you say, that's impressive for the age of the car.

Brian

Offline Nick in Beds

« Reply #8 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 02:44:38 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments chaps, it really does help keep the motivation going (as I am sure you all know too well yourselves).

The 20 bolts on my S2 are:

Front Crossmember - x2
Front chassis under panel (not quite sure what you call this) - x8 (x4 into pedal box)
Tunnel near gear lever - x2
Behind seats - x6
Rear engine compartment - x2

Regarding rust issues, it is all on the front - the rear looks to have surface rust only, but I will know more once the knotted wire wheel has been in action again.

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 05:34:22 AM »
I obviously forgot the pedal attach bolts! My TC didn't have any bolts on the "under panel" on the passenger side, though. It's interesting that yours did.

I have been told two reasons why (old) British cars leak oil. It gives the owner something to do on the weekends and it keeps the surrounding metal from rusting!  ;D

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
I have been told two reasons why (old) British cars leak oil. It gives the owner something to do on the weekends and it keeps the surrounding metal from rusting!  ;D

:) 

and the third....   it was a technological breakthrough in maintenance for the period; if it was leaking oil you didn't need to open the bonnet to check the levels because there was obviously enough in.  When it stops leaking, add oil.....  who needs a computer in the dash ?      ;)

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #11 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »

When putting the sump back on, I was surprised on how primitive the cork seal is at either end below the front pulley and below the flywheel.

I was also amazed at the seal between the water pump and back plate, and back plate and block.

I cannot see how they cannot leak oil/water.

Constant oil change, as you lose and add a pint a month? 

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
It seems you and EuropaTC have illuminated the truth. Old British car owners were not only spared the messy task of periodically checking the oil dipstick, but with 'constant oil changes', the oil filter change interval can be greatly extended!  ;D

Offline Piper an

• old boy racer
« Reply #13 on: Saturday,October 17, 2015, 01:38:18 AM »
Good to read about felłow S2 owner spec sounds good  Derek

Offline Nick in Beds

« Reply #14 on: Friday,November 13, 2015, 02:54:17 AM »
I have been working on the car (and taking pics) but I am not very good at keeping my thread updated, I must do better!!

Anyway, I have been stripping, cleaning, painting and replacing as required on the front suspension and steering - I'll let the pictures do the talking (needless to say all bushes replaced along with TREs, upper ball joints, trunnions and nice shiny adjustable coilovers)

(Parts from Banks and SJ - good service from both, especially Richard at Banks)