Author Topic: 1986 Turbo Esprit  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Richard48Y

Re: 1986 Turbo Esprit
« Reply #30 on: Monday,November 28, 2022, 08:38:58 PM »
Valves can probably be upgraded.
Do the ports differ?

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #31 on: Monday,November 28, 2022, 09:15:47 PM »
Yes I believe they were ported too. I am still learning the Esprit so hopefully someone can chime in. The larger valves can be fitted without issue. I probably need to just get it running first... :)

S4 spec is 268 hp while S4s was 300. Apparently the Citroen C35 is pretty taxed even at the 215 hp of the HC turbo. That reverse CWP might be in my future.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday,November 29, 2022, 12:50:17 AM »
There are a fair number of differences between the earlier turbos and the later (almost last of the line) 4 cylinder turbos.
The engine you have appears to be a good starting point (in that it’s much later etc) that someone has swapped the earlier manifolds etc onto.
I can’t see from your pics if it has a charge cooler?
I can see that it has the earlier (as fitted to 86 cars for example) exhaust manifold, turbo and wastegate setup - S4, S4s, S300 had a different manifold and turbo configuration along with the charge cooler and fuel injection - the charge cooler and fuel injection also results in a different intake setup which all contribute towards the higher horsepower figures considerably.

There where carb turbo cars with charge coolers - this may be a sensible route for you if you are looking to make good use of your later engine but there are a few parts that you would have to find/change in order to do it. - as you have already mentioned, the Citroen box is likely to be your weak link as the power increases. - even the Renault box in the V8 was only rated to 350bhp (pushing its limits) but if you are careful it can handle more.

There are many different things to look out for if you are rebuilding the engine, it’s a bit of a minefield tbh as parts have changed over the years (different suppliers = slight differences in specs etc). Even head gaskets used to be different thicknesses between the LC and HC - it may have changed now but I recall a revision to one gasket fits all some time back which to most wouldn’t mean very much but effectively made a HC into an LC and the LC into an XLC….!

The standard car is no slouch, I’d just put it together and enjoy it as it is.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday,November 29, 2022, 04:02:28 AM »
Many thanks for the links, gideon.
Interesting stuff, indeed . . and every day is a school day.

For anyone else following this, there was a previous thread referred, which is also interesting.

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/new-design-cwp-for-esprit-citro%C3%ABn-gear-box.350506/

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #34 on: Thursday,December 01, 2022, 07:21:25 AM »
It's cleaning up so far. I'm going to soak the exhaust valves in Berryman dip to see if I can get the carbon off. *edit* The wire wheel worked better.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 03, 2022, 07:12:19 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #35 on: Monday,December 05, 2022, 08:42:17 AM »
Things are looking good. Some of the cylinders have some staining. I might see about honing. Rod bearings were all within spec. I still need to size the crank before ordering new bearings, but it is getting close to the final push on tear down.