Author Topic: Connector Hose to Transfer Pipe  (Read 2835 times)

Offline jjbunn

Connector Hose to Transfer Pipe
« on: Monday,January 06, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »
There are two hoses (items 23 and 25 in the diagram) that emerge in the engine bay from the tunnel, and which connect the heated water via transfer pipes to the heater under the dash. Mine are in a sorry state, and need replacing.

How easy a job is this? How does one access the hose connections in the tunnel?

Thanks!

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: Connector Hose to Transfer Pipe
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 06, 2014, 08:25:32 PM »
I think there are two small steel pipes in the tunnel. The hose from the heater to that pipe can be changed from the interior by removing the center console. On the engine side the steel pipes come out of the tunnel somewhere aft of the bulkhead at the "v". Or at least that is the way it is on the Twin Cam
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #2 on: Monday,January 06, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
I think there are two small steel pipes in the tunnel. The hose from the heater to that pipe can be changed from the interior by removing the center console. On the engine side the steel pipes come out of the tunnel somewhere aft of the bulkhead at the "v". Or at least that is the way it is on the Twin Cam

Good info - thanks, Joe. I have the console off and can see two short pipes from the heater that attach to pipes that emerge from the tunnel. If the rubber hoses in the engine compartment attach to ends of those pipes aft of the bulkhead, then it doesn't sound too bad (famous last words!).

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Monday,January 06, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »
It may be obvious but if I were you I'd try to buy the correct hose for the job, don't be tempted to make up your own from 1/2" hose.

When I did mine I couldn't find the correct one so thought "ah, it's a bit of hose, I'll make something up".  It took ages and lots of swearing to help the job along. The two bends are very close together and it's hard not to flatten one or both with the tight space you have to work with. With the correct hose, it's going to be a ten minute job.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,January 07, 2014, 06:31:40 AM »
I think you are asking about the rubber heater hoses in the engine compartment.  You can just use readily-available, straight automotive heater hose.  The hose from the heater valve to the water pump looks "neater" if you use a hose with a moulded 90° bend, again, your local auto parts supply will have, or can get, them.

John

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,January 07, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
Took some before pictures while waiting for an estimate to get my S2 frame refurbished. The two steel pipes do emerge and end at the "Y" in the engine compartment both on S2 and TC per the pictures. The heater tubes appear to be welded at both points where they emerge from the frame; they are rigid. The bare frame is from an S2, the engine bay pics are from a TCS.   

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,January 07, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
Very clear photos - thanks very much!