Author Topic: 0701R  (Read 6880 times)

Offline jjbunn

Re: 0701R
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,December 07, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »
I bought a cheap endoscope so I could check the state of the inside of the gas tank without removing it. The device is basically a webcam at the end of a long flexible tube, with LED lights, small enough (less than 1cm diameter) that it can fit through small holes. It's a little difficult to get crisp images with the device, but much better than nothing. Here are some shots:

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,December 08, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
Question: I know that the engine hasn't been run since the early 80s. I'll drain the oil and the coolant, and the gas (although I expect it's long since evaporated). Is there any particular things I should be looking for with an engine that's been dormant this long (it does turn over by hand)? Should I remove the head for inspection?

I wouldn't remove the head unless there is a overriding reason. You take a chance of loosening the liner seals and having a coolant leak into the sump. If the motor turns over by hand, I would just leave it and do an assessment after the motor is started.

As Cal44 (Mike) suggested, de-rust your coolant pipes with either white vinegar or Evapo-Rust to get as much of the rust scale off the pipes. I learned this lesson the hard way when I spent several years chasing down cooling issues with my S2. Besides bum a temperature sending unit, voltage stabilizer, and a plugged radiator, the major cause of my hot running S2 was the crud in the pipes plugging up my radiator on initial start up. After I had my radiator boiled and back flushed by the radiator shop and performing the Evapo-Rust treatment, the car is finally running cool, maybe too cool.

Renault water pumps should be available from all three Lotus vendors for around $125. Make sure the gaskets are included.

Regarding the gas tank, I would bite the bullet and remove it. Have a radiator shop boil it out and do a pressure test.
If a new tank is required, order an aluminum replacement from Steve Veris.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca     

Julian

Offline 3929R

« Reply #17 on: Monday,December 09, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
http://gallery.sportsandclassics.com/products/buckingham-classic-interiors/
Sports & Classics, Inc. have a seat upholstery kit for the Twin Cam, not sure about your S2.  They want about $500 for vinyl and about $650 for leather.  I've not seen them in the flesh, so can't comment on quality.

These pics are from them-

Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline cal44

« Reply #18 on: Monday,December 09, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
Mark,
those seats look great

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #19 on: Monday,December 09, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »
Hi Mark,

Wow, those seats look good!

I had a pair of seats for my TR6 re-upholstered by a local guy, in black pleather, with white piping, for $400 a few years ago. When I come to do my seats, I'll get a quote from him first - I expect his prices have gone up considerably  :P

Offline 3929R

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »
If anyone gets these, please post a review.  I've been thinking of getting them. 
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA