Author Topic: Twin Cam Special half-shaft frame clearance  (Read 432 times)

Offline kram350kram

Twin Cam Special half-shaft frame clearance
« on: Wednesday,February 05, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »
Doing a little suspension figuring and was wondering if anyone knows the factory set clearance between the top of the half-shaft to the bottom or the frame rail? I have about 3". Thanks in advance.

Offline magno_grail

Re: Twin Cam Special half-shaft frame clearance
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 10, 2020, 09:32:34 AM »
My workshop manual does not give a dimension but scaling the drawing  Section D Fig. 1 it is 1.05 times the axle diameter. This depends upon the length of your shocks.

Offline edgefinder

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »
magno_grail, it sounds like you've been doing some research and i'm wondering what dampers your looking to use

Offline magno_grail

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,February 15, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »
I currently have Koni, 420mm. That may change as they are not adjustable. Fortunately I am doing some work for someone who builds shock dynos and can probably get something better at a reasonable cost.
My half shafts have 3" clearance to the frame.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,February 15, 2020, 11:28:31 PM »
I think mine are closer than that, but not by much. Maybe 2"-2.5" ?  I'd have to measure it to be certain.

In some road tests there were diagrams showing the clearances under the engines for the S2 & TC and given the driveshaft inner height is set by the gearbox/engine assembly, it would be worth comparing those numbers as well. The same road test also gave numbers for the front/rear bumper heights which is also a handy reference point.  I've posted the scan before but can't find it, so here it is again....

When I changed the suspension to the protech dampers I fitted the damper without spring and with the car on axle stands I jacked the wheel through a complete full droop to "driveshaft hitting the chassis" range to see if the bump stops were in the right places. To hit the chassis with the driveshaft you've almost fully compressed the damper (without bump stops), I can't recall the exact number but something like 0.5" of rubber would stop it touching.

Brian