Author Topic: Door Lock/Latch adjustment  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Footer

Door Lock/Latch adjustment
« on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
Hi,  I'm brand new to the Community and a new Europa owner after wanting one for a very long time.  I have a 73 Twin Cam Special with a five speed .  It was immobile for about 40 years before I got it, so it needs much care and attention.
It has the typical door droop that I was able to get level after reading the valuable discussion on the forum from Grumblebuns and others.  Now that the door is "level" however, I need to adjust either the Door Latch Mechanism that is mounted on the door, or the Plate-Striker mounted on the door frame.  Neither one of these seem to  accommodate much movement for adjustment and certainly not enough to correct my alignment issue.  I have a workshop manual but it says very little that is helpful.
I need to adjust one or both of these about a 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch total.  If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Footer

Offline Sandyman

Re: Door Lock/Latch adjustment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
Hi Footer, :Welcome: This is the Achilles heel of the Europa. As far as I can tell the only way to get the latches to work is to adjust the front pin so the latches fit. Then if the seam lines are not equal, shim the bottom pin ends upward.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »
Greetings Footer, and  :Welcome:

I know this will make some of you cringe, but my passenger door (right door for us yanks) had a bad case of the droops, and after buying a 1-1/8" box wrench to cut a slot into and buying boxes of band-aids for all the skinned knuckles, I looked at the door and thought; if it slipped out of place because someone leaned on it, might it not pop back into place if I lifted it sharply upward? So I did, and it did. The nasty grinding noise of the sandpaper washers was awful, but the door settled back into its proper place, needing only an adjustment of the latch bar on the door frame. (The hole for the striker/latch bar is quite oversized and adjustment was easy.) I'm sure it could slip out of place again if a butterfly lands on the door, but for now it is staying in place and I still have beautiful knuckles!

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 05:09:38 PM »
I adjusted mine with out seal and they were perfect. I adjusted both.

A few months later they were dragging. I used a Q tip and put a light coat of lithium grease on the latch and striker and they are great again.  Just saying, a light grease may help.

Offline Footer

« Reply #4 on: Friday,November 08, 2019, 06:56:01 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I'll reassess my situation and give these all a try.
Clifton, could you clarify your statement "with out seal" for me.  I'm not sure what that covers.

Thanks!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Friday,November 08, 2019, 01:03:03 PM »
I put new door seals in and then removed them so I would know when the latch was catching while adjusting without the door seal interfering in anyway. The seals have since compressed down some now.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 11, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »
HI:Its been mentioned but here is a picture of a"doctored" wrench to get at adjustments.
It does take patience and penetrating oil because most of the time there is enough rust in the picture to cause severe swearing.
I ended up cutting the pin,driving the whole mess out and replacing the upper and lower bushings along with a new pin. 

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #7 on: Monday,November 11, 2019, 09:59:31 PM »
Hello Footer!

:Welcome:

I hope that you get to fix the lock/latch....

Mark

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,November 12, 2019, 01:58:59 AM »

I’ve had my doors apart a number of times and adjusted them to get the best fit during my restoration. It’s a two man job and requires a lot of patience. As already mentioned, you might need to add additional washers on the bottom hinge to “shim” the door up to the right height.

I used cardboard folded over as the gauge for the proper gap and height of the door closed while adjusting/tightening the nuts on the door hinges. Once I got the door adjusted, then I loosened the latch and striker plate (the plate has a fair amount of adjustment, the latch does not). It took several adjustments to get it right, but finally closed the way it’s supposed to.

I’ve spoke to a number of Europa owners about the doors. If you take them apart they are never like the factory assembly. But at this stage of a Europa’s life you really don’t have a choice (it took me two days to remove the very rusty OEM hinges with a cutting wheel).

Good luck! I feel your pain  :beerchug:

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,November 12, 2019, 06:26:31 AM »
 :Welcome: Footer!

I wish I could help you with your doors but I have a different hinge arrangement and I claim no particular skill in this (or any) department. You're in good hands with the rest of the guys here.

When you get a chance, why don't you post some pictures of your baby and tell us about your plans for her.

Offline Footer

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the information I was looking for.  I now have a re-positioned door that fits, closes and seals the way it was intended.  It took me some time and there was the learning curve to get over, but now I'm happy with the results!

Here are a couple of pictures of my Lotus.  I haven't been able to do it justice with lots of pictures, but this gives us a fair image  of it's condition. 

Between the seller and me, we came to the conclusion that it had been in storage since 1976 or 77.  Not much to go on here other than the license plate on the car.  Only 22,000 miles and the starter motor would spin the engine so it wasn't frozen.  I sent it off to the machine shop to go through it and determine what, if any, rebuilding needs to be done other than changing all of the seals and gaskets.  The seller had started to refurbish it so lots of parts were in pieces from the process.  I've been putting things back together and doing some cleanup in the process.  The Vin number is 73023090R and it's a numbers match with engine and six speed transaxle.  My short range plans are to have it road worthy and drive able by the spring/early summer of 2020.  Long range might include a new paint job since there are many nicks, scratches, etc that need to be fixed, although this aren't obvious until you get right next to the car.  I first became interested in the Europa back in the early/mid seventies and have had them in the back of my mind ever since so I'm pretty pumped to now have one. Coincidentally, Motor Trend magazine did an article  in April, 1974, on all of the mid engine sports cars available at the time(Fiat X1/9, Maserati Bora, Pantera, Ferrari Dino, Porsche 914 , Lotus Europa).  I still have that copy.  Periodically, I would pull it out and dream.  Great stuff.

Thanks again!

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »
She looks like a great car to start with! I would say that I doubt it has a 6 speed. I think you mean a 5 speed in which case you have a 365 tranny. One of your projects should be to make sure your shift linkage is in good shape. Now that the engine is out, it would be a great time to tackle that. Another thing you might consider is replacing the transfer tubes with stainless steel replacements. Gas tanks are often a problem in these old cars. If the budget allows, I would advise aluminum replacements for them and your swirl tank but the steel is reparable and serviceable if not. The aluminum radiators available on fleabay are a nice addition but, again, your stock radiator can be checked over by a good radiator shop.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

Offline Footer

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 01:26:01 PM »
You're right on that one, it should have said five speed.
Thanks!

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 01:50:46 PM »
Just keep us in the loop about your progress and post lots of pictures and we'll call it even!  ;D

Offline dakazman

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »

Footer,
Very nice starting point, I hope you a speedy return of your car from the machinist.  Your can looks to be in excellent shape. Your door looks perfect.
Keep posting pics of your build. Remember it’s the story of your car for future generations.
Dakazman