Author Topic: Electroplating  (Read 1789 times)

Offline dakazman

Electroplating
« on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 03:26:09 PM »
   This is going to be a fun journey.
I broke out some old electronic equipment that should control the voltage and amperage necessary for plating. It’s been sitting around since my self inflicted studies and should be an excellent substitute for a battery... lol. With vinegar and nickel anodes in hand I’ll try to start a nickel bath solution.
 .. Certified please step in at anytime!
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Electroplating
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
Dave, that looks way too complicated!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 05:23:46 AM »
   Yes , sorry it does.
For now it’s just a big battery.
 One warning I’ve read about is the venting of the process and mainly the placement of the solution. They state that it should be away from metal objects. The acid vapors attack every thing. I ran into this in a cabinet I store my muriatic acid destroyed the metal hinges, and every socket in a small toolbox.
Any pointers about what he container sizes. Do and don’ts ?
Dakazman 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 05:39:38 AM »
I only electroplate in my garage with all the doors open and a fan running. Always wear rubber gloves (the disposable kind) and eye protection.

Keep a container of fresh water near by when your electroplating (not a sink with faucet, too much splattering) and dip everything you plate in the fresh water before allowing the metal to dry (on folded paper towels).

I tend to plate a number of parts at a time, rinsing my gloved hands in the container of fresh water after each piece is done. This prevents transfer of acid to anything.

Have a large clock with second hand visible. Too long a bath in the plating tank ruins the surface of the metal and you will have to remove and start all over again.

Typically I do plating on a plastic table with paper towels spread out to catch any drips or splatter. Stay away from your work bench and all tools.

I store the entire collection of funnels, plastic containers and battery/ clamps in a cardboard box away from everything else. It’s on the concrete floor in case of leaks or spills.

Have a collection of different size plastic containers for use only for this process. Small and medium. I also have a plastic tray from a tool box that I use for long narrow pieces (like the metal seat runners under the seats).

I’ve tried wiring multiple pieces together to make the plating process go quicker. It’s not very effective as voltage drops along each piece and the plating is at different stages. I think I would need a more controlled voltage supply than 2 C batteries. It looks like you have that, but keep that device far away from the chemicals or your gloved hands that will transfer chemicals.

There is a metal polish your supposed to use after plating to brighten it up. I rarely use it as most pieces are not getting a lot of visibility and it’s a lot more work.

Once you get the hang of it everything goes quickly. As you have seen with me, I plate on a moments notice as it’s fairly easy. Just make sure you are always aware your dealing with acid and need to be careful all the time.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 05:46:46 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,September 12, 2019, 06:19:59 AM »
Thanks certified,
  How fast does the anode dissipate? I have been buying nickel and zinc in bulk.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 12, 2019, 06:45:37 AM »
I have only used two anodes in 3 years. They last a long time (but that is based on the size of the material your plating. I’m doing mostly nut and bolts).

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 12, 2019, 10:27:11 AM »
  Thanks Certified,
  I have time again to work on this since I’ll be waiting for my tappets to get recut. I’ll let you know how it goes with just some nuts and bolts.😀
Dakazman

Offline yellow16TS

« Reply #7 on: Friday,September 13, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your results Dave.
Currently restoring 54/1103

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »
 I learned a lot , first I purchased some vinegar an a few nickel and zinc anodes. The nickel made a nice green acetate. The second zinc mixture was a catastrophic failure in that the blend was destroyed by not being pure zinc .only zinc plated and sold on eBay as 99%pure.
  I continued on and plating my oil pan bolts and washers. Then started on the pedal assembly.
I quickly learned that the metal should be perfectly finished before plating. The process is slowly moving forward. I need to buy a few more plastic bin and make another batch of acetate .
I used an old blackberry phone charger rated at 5volts, . 7mamps. All in all I think it went well.
Dakazman 

Online BDA

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 05:12:21 PM »
D'man, you are going to have the shiniest Europa ever!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »
  It’s certifieds fault!
Lol.
I’m addicted to it now . I feel like breaking bad... only for a good cause.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »
Nice work Dave! You’ve got the hang of it. Not surprised your polishing everything. As BDA say’s, you will have the shiniest Europa on the planet.

And now you will be plating everything and it’s all my fault  :FUNNY:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Monday,September 16, 2019, 05:20:20 AM »
  Certified,  you have been a positive influence on more people than just myself. Your results speak for themselves.
  I’ll stick to just the nickel plating for now. I was amazed on how durable the finish is after 10 minutes in the bath. I played , 2-3 pieces at a time , rinsed, then used my fine wire brush on the buffer then touch it gently to the buffer pad . I did the bell housing bolt heads and was very pleased with the results. Now I need larger containers 😀👍👍

Have you done elastic stop nuts?

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,September 18, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »
   This is so much better than painting all those bolts, plates and small items . I don’t know how long it last but some of my painted bolt heads look so so in about 3 years.
  Waiting now on more nickel anodes. Need about 1/2 gallon to submerge is the larger parts, Clutch pedal. Then weld it together. Also played with a badly vice gripped rocker arm cover bolts . I probably could buy the cheaper than the 2 hours of sanding and then plating them. Testing the limits.
Some before and after!
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,September 19, 2019, 01:19:48 AM »
I had a funny feeling you would “out plate me” once you got going  :FUNNY: