Author Topic: Lotus Europa TCS Rear Wing  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
Lotus Europa TCS Rear Wing
« on: Monday,July 04, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »
Hi All; 

Having grown up with these cars, I had never seen a rear wing attached to any Europa when they were new, or even as a dealer installed item.  But I do recall as the Pantera and the Countach started to near the end of it's product life cycle, wings were added to those cars.  So when Kyosho came out with its die cast Europa that sported a wing, I just discounted it as some whim of fancy by some Japanese designer.  But I had a conversation recently with a past employee of Kyosho and he tells me that all the cars they made were from actual cars which the company bought or had access to in order to copy the dimensions exactly.  And they had always held to originality from street cars to race cars.  So whether you like the wing or not, are there any Lotus historians out there that can verify or deny that this was a factory option and for which cars?  Amazing what crosses your mind on a slow holiday weekend lol.  Thanks Allan
« Last Edit: Monday,July 04, 2016, 09:14:07 AM by Gearbox »

Offline jbcollier

Re: Lotus Europa TCS Rear Wing
« Reply #1 on: Monday,July 04, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »
Not a factory option.  Popular mod in Japan due to "Circuit Wolf".

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Monday,July 04, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
I've never really got the idea of a rear wing on the Europa. I can see the visual attraction, but does it actually work ? I would have thought all those designs would do is cause cracking on the (thin) rear deck unless they've got some steelwork underneath to take the loads generated onto the chassis, 

The reason I question it is because as the car moved to the TC with slightly different weight distribution Lotus introduced a front spoiler, supposedly to reduce lift at speed.  I know of one S2 owner who fitted something similar and reported increased stability, which sounds reasonable.

Anyone here into this sort of aerodynamic stuff and can pass a professional opinion ?

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Monday,July 04, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »
Surely you would only put a rear aerofoil/spoiler on the car if there was a traction problem at high speed, or oversteer cornering at high speed.

I have never been able to un-stick the rear, as there is not enough power, and very good traction.

Any aerofoil/spoiler would reduce top speed (hence the DRS on F1 cars).

The front spoiler was added to reduce understeer, as the front is very light. I have had understeer when using a TCS on an airfield in competition (sprint at North Weald, Essex, 1979 using 75032429P).

IMHO, the rear spoiler is just for boy racers, to try to look good, and is not required to improve handling.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2016, 12:38:58 AM »
Surely you would only put a rear aerofoil/spoiler on the car if there was a traction problem at high speed, or oversteer cornering at high speed.

I have never been able to un-stick the rear, as there is not enough power, and very good traction.

Any aerofoil/spoiler would reduce top speed (hence the DRS on F1 cars).

The front spoiler was added to reduce understeer, as the front is very light. I have had understeer when using a TCS on an airfield in competition (sprint at North Weald, Essex, 1979 using 75032429P).

IMHO, the rear spoiler is just for boy racers, to try to look good, and is not required to improve handling.

Alex in Norfolk.

Google images shows a few racing cars with rear wings, and the '62 had one, but as per the above, I can't see the point of one in road use, unless it's to correct a specific problem. It seems to be an 'extreme use' requirement.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,July 05, 2016, 12:57:14 AM by StrawberryCheesecake »