Author Topic: FS: 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and '5th gear detent'  (Read 4865 times)

Offline pboedker

FS: 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and '5th gear detent'
« on: Wednesday,September 12, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
(Note: The thread title has been changed aug. 11, 2014 to reflect that it now describes two parts for sale)

As I have mentioned to the Yahoo list earlier, I have made what I call a 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and have been happily using it for years, first on my 4 speed 352-box and now with my 5 speed 365-box. This prevents me from hitting reverse gear by mistake and since I have at the same time removed the original Lotus detent mechanism at the rear it saves the gear linkage from the constant abuse of having to otherwise slam the gear lever into reverse or 5th gear.
:trophy:

I thought others might benefit from my experience, hence I had a shop make a batch of the handles and offer them for 27$ each, plus 9$ for shipping. 8)

The kit is made specifically for the Twin Cam and 352/365 gearboxes, but can probably be fitted to earlier Twin Cams or even to S1/S2 models, although I haven't tried it. I also believe that the earlier gearboxes are not having the same troubles with the linkage that the 352/365 have. Still, if you would like to try it out on an early TC/S1/S2 please let me know and I will be happy to arrange for a test. :)

The original detent mechanism can be completely removed if you have a 352 gearbox, but you will still need to do something for the 5th gear on a 365 gearbox. I'm working on an internal detent plunger (as per Renault design) which gives a good feeling for the 3rd and 4th gear gates and still a nice spring activation for the 5th gear. So if you
have a 365 gearbox, this kit will only yield 'half the solution' and the 5th gear kit will only be ready after the summer, I think. But I'm working on that part too... :-)

The kit is made of the following:
1 liftup handle, which is a machined plastic tube to fit over the gear lever.
1 angle bracket, which is mounted on top of the tunnel next to the gear lever.
Both are hidden under the gear lever grommet and not visible when installed. And installing is really easy.
Now, when I need reverse gear I lift up the top part of the gear lever grommet with two fingers and select reverse gear, just as in any modern car.

If you would like to buy one (or you just have additional questions) then drop me an email or PM. 8)
« Last Edit: Monday,August 11, 2014, 01:11:52 PM by pboedker »
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline pboedker

Re: FS: Reverse liftup handle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 16, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
Just a short update about the internal detent plunger for the 5th gear: It's very slowly progressing. :)

This year I have been driving 2000 miles with the prototype in the gearbox. I took it out for examination last weekend when the Europa was hibernated, and after doing some small changes to it, I am close to ready to have the shop make some more. 8)

I don't know how long that takes, but just send me an email or PM if there's any questions in the meantime.  :D
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline pboedker

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,May 29, 2014, 03:38:09 PM »
I recently had some plungers made in hardened steel, but the spring is not standard size and nowhere to be found. So I'm working on having these fabricated as well. Let me know if there's any interest in this, and I will try and speed things up a little.

This should make for a very complete solution for doing away with the 'Lotus detent mechanism' and getting a much improved gear shift, even on the 5th gear Europas.  :)
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,May 31, 2014, 05:42:51 AM »
Peter,

Do you have any pictures showing the rear of the 365 transaxle with the 5th gear and reverse detent and lift handle. This may be an option for those people missing the detents on the 352 and 365 gearboxes?

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline pboedker

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,May 31, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Joji,

actually the second best thing about the 'Reverse gear lockout handle' and the '5th gear detent' is that they are not visible. So no risk of loosing concour points just because you want a decent gearchange  ;D

The 'Reverse gear lockout handle' is shown in the first post. The tube is placed over the gear stick inside the car and is hidden under the gear lever grommet.

The '5th gear detent' is placed in the rear of the gearbox, where Renault wanted it to be.  8)

I include a photo showing the rear of the gearbox. I have removed the housing and the ball of the original Lotus detent mechanism, and left the detent cam to wiggle when shifting gears. It sits on the outside axle of the internal rocking lever, and could of course be replaced by a shim of the same thickness.

The photo also shows half of the screw plug that now hides the '5th gear detent' and its spring. I never understood why Lotus didn't use the Renault 5th gear detent...
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Monday,June 02, 2014, 06:35:32 AM »
Peter,

I sent you a PM.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline pboedker

FS: 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and '5th gear detent'
« Reply #6 on: Monday,August 11, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »
My summer holiday is over and in the meantime I received the springs for the 5th gear detent, making the gearshift upgrade complete. So, no excuses for not updating this thread. ::)

First of all, I kept the thread intact, but changed the subject to reflect the 2 parts that I now have for sale. This post is based on the original but will describe both the 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and the newly available '5th gear detent'.

As I wrote in the original post, I have made what I call a 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and have been happily using it for years, first on my 4 speed 352-box and now with my 5 speed 365-box. This prevents me from hitting reverse gear by mistake and since I have at the same time replaced the original/external Lotus detent mechanism at the rear with an internal detent plunger it saves the gear linkage from the constant abuse of having to otherwise slam the gear lever into reverse or 5th gear.

Below is a description of the two kits, which I now offer:

The 'Reverse gear liftup handle' kit
The kit is made specifically for the Twin Cam and 352/365 gearboxes, but can probably be fitted to earlier Twin Cams or even to S1/S2 models, although I haven't tried it. I also believe that the earlier gearboxes are not having the same troubles with the linkage that the 352/365 have. Still, if you would like to try it out on an early TC/S1/S2 please let me know and I will be happy to arrange for a test. :)

Both are hidden under the gear lever grommet and not visible when installed. And installing is really easy.
Now, when I need reverse gear I lift up the top part of the gear lever grommet with two fingers and select reverse gear, just as in any modern car.

If you have a 352 gearbox the original detent mechanism can now be completely removed, and you're finished. If you have the 365 gearbox, the next section describes the solution for getting the proper spring activated feeling for the 5'th gear...

The '5th gear detent' kit
This part is a copy of the internal 5th gear detent as used by Renault. I still don't understand why Lotus discarded it in favour of the external detent mechanism.
To my knowledge it will only fit the 365 gearbox (5 speed). The detent plunger with its spring gives both a good feeling for the 3rd and 4th gear gates and still a nice spring activation for the 5th gear.
It is even easier to install in the car, since plunger and spring hides behind a screw plug on the side of the gearbox (as per Renault design).

The kits are priced as follows:
  • 'Reverse gear liftup handle': 27$
  • '5th gear detent' 32$
  • Shipping is 9$ for one or two items.

If you would like to buy a set (or you just have additional questions) then drop me an email or PM. 8)
« Last Edit: Monday,August 11, 2014, 01:13:38 PM by pboedker »
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline BDA

Re: FS: 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and '5th gear detent'
« Reply #7 on: Monday,August 11, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
That sounds very cool. Sorry I don't need them - I have an NG-3.

Good luck with them!

Offline pboedker

Bump: FS: 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and '5th gear detent'
« Reply #8 on: Sunday,April 19, 2015, 01:31:51 AM »
I just answered a related question on the Yahoo list and it made me think that this message could also use a little help to stay visible on the topics list. I hope that's OK  :)

My summer holiday is over and in the meantime I received the springs for the 5th gear detent, making the gearshift upgrade complete. So, no excuses for not updating this thread. ::)

First of all, I kept the thread intact, but changed the subject to reflect the 2 parts that I now have for sale. This post is based on the original but will describe both the 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and the newly available '5th gear detent'.

As I wrote in the original post, I have made what I call a 'Reverse gear liftup handle' and have been happily using it for years, first on my 4 speed 352-box and now with my 5 speed 365-box. This prevents me from hitting reverse gear by mistake and since I have at the same time replaced the original/external Lotus detent mechanism at the rear with an internal detent plunger it saves the gear linkage from the constant abuse of having to otherwise slam the gear lever into reverse or 5th gear.

Below is a description of the two kits, which I now offer:

The 'Reverse gear liftup handle' kit

If you have a 352 gearbox the original detent mechanism can now be completely removed, and you're finished. If you have the 365 gearbox, the next section describes the solution for getting the proper spring activated feeling for the 5'th gear...

The '5th gear detent' kit
This part is a copy of the internal 5th gear detent as used by Renault. I still don't understand why Lotus discarded it in favour of the external detent mechanism.
To my knowledge it will only fit the 365 gearbox (5 speed). The detent plunger with its spring gives both a good feeling for the 3rd and 4th gear gates and still a nice spring activation for the 5th gear.
It is even easier to install in the car, since plunger and spring hides behind a screw plug on the side of the gearbox (as per Renault design).

The kits are priced as follows:
  • 'Reverse gear liftup handle': 27$
  • '5th gear detent' 32$
  • Shipping is 9$ for one or two items.

If you would like to buy a set (or you just have additional questions) then drop me an email or PM. 8)
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark