Author Topic: My rear wheel almost fell off  (Read 5267 times)

Offline gturner008

My rear wheel almost fell off
« on: Thursday,April 16, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
Under power a rubbing noise. Wheel off. Brake drum about to be removed when the big nut falls off into my hand. Rotor about to leave the spline.

Seems like the shaft to u/j on the half shaft fractured.

Hopefully a quick job. Could have been bad if it failed on the road at speed.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: My rear wheel almost fell off
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 16, 2015, 11:25:58 AM »
That shaft is over 1" in diameter. Maybe the wheel bearings have worn out (worn dry) and this caused the wheel rotation to fracture the drive shaft.

Getting the hub off the broken shaft might be a challenge.

I would check the wheel bearings on the other side by jacking up the car and seeing if there is any movement when wobbling the wheel in and out top and bottom.

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 16, 2015, 03:26:41 PM »
I know that feeling.  Though on mine the threads behind the nut broke off.  After having images of that happening at 100+ mph on the track, I decided to design my own axles where the hub and axle is one piece and the yoke bolts on.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 16, 2015, 07:07:02 PM »
Though on mine the threads behind the nut broke off.

I bet you were glad of the rear discs when looking at that failure.
I haven't had a failure (yet... probably), but admit that aside from adding some stopping power; the significant advantage I wanted out of a rear disc conversion was to help keep a wayward wheel attached for a while in the event of axle failure.

My mothers car (Korean thing) had a axle failure and the only thing holding the wheel on was the brake caliper.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 16, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »
I know that feeling.  Though on mine the threads behind the nut broke off.  After having images of that happening at 100+ mph on the track, I decided to design my own axles where the hub and axle is one piece and the yoke bolts on.
So Lotusjps, do you envision selling copies of your stub axles? If so can you give a more complete description and a price? I've seen a similar upgrade on ebay that utilizes keys rather than splines. Any comparison you'd like to make?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 16, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »
Yup, stock axles a known weakness.  They are made of a super-hardened butter.  Use the special lock-tite on the splines as specified in the manual.  Do not over tighten the hub nut.  If in doubt, get new ones.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,April 16, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
I believe the rear drums and drive shafts came from a Hillman Imp, a very small rear engined car, 875cc, made in the 60s. The hinges for the engine cover on a Europa come from the front bonnet (hood) of the same car.

My car has 3 keys not splines, and the hub was very tight on the shaft due to rust. Emery paper soon made the hub a slide fit again, soon to be re-assembled with Loctite bearing stuff when the hubs come back from Banks at 108PCD.

I might put my name and address on the rear wheels, just in case they part company from the car.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 17, 2015, 08:31:34 AM »
Axles with three keys are an aftermarket upgrade of much better steel than the stock ones.  The Imp rear axles were also much used in single seat racers from the sixties.  One team put in new axles after every race weekend.

Offline gturner008

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,May 12, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »
New parts fitted, shaft, rotor etc. Perfect now.

It has cured the rear wheel steering I was experiencing. Phew

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,May 12, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »
What did you replace your parts with? Stock parts? Or did you get one of the upgrades?

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,May 12, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »
So Lotusjps, do you envision selling copies of your stub axles? If so can you give a more complete description and a price? I've seen a similar upgrade on ebay that utilizes keys rather than splines. Any comparison you'd like to make?

I sold a few sets when I had them made.  It was the only way to make the price cost effective.  Before I made them I posted on the Europa forum and had lots of people interested, though when it came time for money only 2 ponied up (plus one more a couple years later).  They ended up running $1,150 for a set of two (axles, radius saver, yoke, retaining nut), though that was also in 2008.  I did all the design work, then had Dutchman Axles do the machine work.  They did an outstanding job and the quality is way above any factory part I've seen.  Also besides using a very high grade steel, they also heat treated the parts.

Offline gturner008

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,May 12, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »
I had Lotus OEM parts fitted. Not cheap (£500), but pleased with result.

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,May 23, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
Interesting that they used Imp axles / half shafts. Given the extensive competition history of the imp in race and rally, there must be upgraded versions to be had. I know a guy who had a rally imp until recently. Unless it's already a well know path, I'll check if he has any knowledge on upgrades.

There's also a little machine shop near me who make parts for Hewland gearboxes. They could be pretty we'll qualified for something like this. 
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 23, 2015, 03:14:32 PM by StrawberryCheesecake »

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,May 23, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
I think I'd go with the Hewland shop!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,May 23, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
Not listed but this chap does a replacement for the Imp axle similar to what LotusJPS posted.  I bought a set, as of yet unfitted, about a year ago at $1600ish.

http://www.dogrings.com/products.html