Author Topic: New TCS Owner  (Read 701 times)

Offline Sherman Kaplan

New TCS Owner
« on: Sunday,March 26, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
 :newhere:

Hi Everone:

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself.  My name is Sherman Kaplan and I live in Windsor Colorado.  I just purchased a 1973 Europa Special.  Actually, I bought the car last November, but due to family issues I had to be California from November to February.  The car was delivered to me early March.  I have already met some of you as I have bought some parts that I knew I would need.   Those of you that know Tony Vacarro may be familiar with this car.  Tony and his son Brian were going to restore it, but found an Elan and decided to sell the Europa.   It was last driven in 1980 and stored in a barn.  In its short driving life it must have had a severe water leak at the top of the windshield.  The top of the glass and the roof from the pinstripe to the windshield was covered with silicone sealant.  I have been able to get most of it off, but still working on it.  Also the dash top was missing.  I guess it was water logged and thrown out.   I am planning on keeping the original paint and have spent the last several days polishing.   The paint was oxidized, but is coming back.  The car does have stress cracks and the paint has crazing (I'm guessing from the expansion and contraction of the paint from sitting in Buffalo NY winters and summers), but as they say it is only original once.   Tony and Brian had taken the engine and gearbox out of the car in preparation for their restoration so right now they are sitting in a crate.  My plan is to get the outside of the car done, then attack the interior, front end (suspension and radiator), clean up the engine bay, rear brakes, and then deal with the engine and gearbox.   

This is not my first Lotus.  From the mid 70's to the mid 80's I had a 1972 Europa Twin Cam.   I then had a 1985 Esprit and a 1989 Esprit.  In addition to the Europa i currently have a few MG's and a TR6 -  I'm a British car person.  I'm semi retired, trying to be fully retired but my office keeps calling me.  My wife and I moved to Colorado from California in June, 2016.  In the past I was always to busy to work on my cars and had them professionally maintained.  I can do certain things, but want to learn to do more.  I hope you guys don't mind if I end up bombarding you with newbie questions. 

Thanks,
Sherman

Offline BDA

Re: New TCS Owner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 26, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
 :Welcome:  Britcar82!!!

It sounds like you have a nice project started as well as owning or have owned some interesting cars! Please post pictures when you can (we LOVE pictures!!  :) ).

Don't be shy about asking questions. There is a good collection of talent here and it's getting better all the time.

Good luck with your projects and don't be a stranger!!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,March 26, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »
Hi, and another  :Welcome:  Sherman, good to have you on board.

These cars, along with your MG & TR's, are relatively simple things and if you grab a workshop manual then take your time you will get most things sorted. Forums and communities like this thrive on people asking for help & advice, so don't be shy !

Brian

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 03:43:06 AM »
 :Welcome:
Sounds like you've a nice project to pass your retirement with!
This forum is a great source of information and help.
Andyh

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #4 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 04:37:28 AM »
Welcome Sherman! I'm also fairly new to this forum as I bought a 72 TC last year and am in the midst of a complete rebuild (notice I didn't say restoration). This forum has great advice and sage knowledge regarding everything Europa's. A number of members have helped me out numerous times as I move through my own project, you will find them invaluable with their experience and perspective.

I was wondering who bought Tony's Europa project. Congratulations on taking on a fun project.

As I tell my wife when all shorts of packages of parts show up at the house, well it's a hobby that keeps me in the garage at home and I'm happy.

Post regular pictures of your progress.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 09:04:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Sherman. Sounds like you have acquired a great project. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #6 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
 :lotus:     Welcome Sherman

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #7 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »
Thank you everyone.  Today I decided to stop polishing and look at the interior.  The drivers seat is stuck and won't budge.  It seems that the rail with the latch works fine and wants to move.  It is the other side near the door that won't go anywhere.  I've tried soaking with penetrating oil, but it won't go all they way to the end.  I'm thinking of jacking the front of the car up so it will have a downward slope.  Worst case I will have to drill it out.  I will be asking questions if it comes to that.  I also took off the door panel as I have heard horror stories about the door hinges.  To my surprise they look good.  Also an interesting originality item that I noticed was the black over spray on the underpart of the fender where it meets the door.  I'm attaching photos, including one of the car at Tony Vaccaro's.

Sherman

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
You were blessed with that hinge! The seat could be rusted, but given how good your door hinge is, I might think it's less serious than that. I would let the penetrating oil soak over night and try it again.

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #9 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 05:53:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum looks like a worthwhile project. On the seat issue worst thing would be that you'd have to cut the bolts. They just bolt through the floor. So if you jack up that side enough to get to it. A grinder would make short work of the bolt. Or it might just come out if you try wrenching on it (the bolt that is LOL)

Offline Fourporche

• 1972 TC
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,March 30, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
 :lotus:
Hello
My name is Denny in Rochester NY
Buffalo my home town!!
I wonder where your car was sold from new !!
I have a 72 TC under restoration
And just bought a 73 TC special 4 speed
And a TC special 5 speed
I IOW to post more photos as I move along here
There are some other pictures here of my cars
All the best
Denny
Great color choice u have!!

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,March 30, 2017, 07:36:41 AM »
Hi:

Thanks,

There was a small sticker on the back that said Autosport by Jiri, 305 Vestal Parkway East, Vestal, NY.
I did a little research and they were a BMW and Lotus dealer.  Apparently Jiri Nechleba was a well known individual in the sports car community on the east coast.

Sherman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,March 30, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Keep that sticker!  If it is tough shape you can get it reproduced.  It's a valuable piece of the car's history.