Author Topic: TCS Windshield Surround Alternative  (Read 12008 times)

Offline 3929R

TCS Windshield Surround Alternative
« on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
Last summer I replaced the rotten "SemiChrome" windshield surround on my TCS.  Use of the original style replacement trim requires removal of the windshield.  However, I was worried I might break the windshield while trying to remove it and wanted to spend my time on more pressing matters needed to get the car back on the road.  So, I came up with this alternative as a temporary fix (the original surround seemed to be a temporary fix).

On my TCS the "SemiChrome" plastic was so soft and rotten that I could pull it off/out without removing the windshield.  I did this on a hot summer day when the black windshield sealant was also soft and "mushy."  My windshield is not stock and I don't know if the sealant is urethane or?  I do not think my seal was water tight before removing the shiny plastic.  Regardless, I injected more sealant and topped it off with flexible, adhesive backed "chrome" molding (aka new and improved shinny plastic).  As the windscreen was not totally level with its frame, aligning the flexible chrome took some coaxing, a bit of poly glue, a lot of tape (both for masking the paint and windshield and holding the trim in place while the glue and sealant set up). 

In my humble opinion it looks very good, even up close.  It is at least good enough for my car.  I'm not sure how water tight the seal on my windshield is as I have not driven in the rain (and around here I may never find the occasion to) but it did not leak while washing the car.  My new trim has been on less than a year, so I can not comment on how long it will last.  But if/when it fails I will be no worse off then I was, just $40 poorer.

Here is the flexible chrome I used- http://www.sportwing.com/chromebritemolding1wide.aspx  I think it is 1/8" narrower than stock but the corner pieces were easy to adjust with a pair of smooth jaw, needle nose pliers.   
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline exarkun1178

Re: TCS Windshield Surround Alternative
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »
That looks great,

i am still thinking my way through my windshield issue.  it has a few leaks, but the glass it self is in good shape.

25% of the surround is missing or no longer in the slot.

like yours, ive been told mine has a channel wrapped around the glass, and thus can not removed without windshield being removed,  and windshield  is likely to break if removed.

can you tell me more about how you removed it with out taking out the windshield?

also, can you please provide link to the new chrome you used?

Offline 3929R

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
The old trim on mine was fairly soft and quite flexible.  In places I could simply pull it out with my hands, slowly and carefully.  Elsewhere I pulled it out with pliers or Vice-Grip type pliers.  Again I went very slowly and carefully.  There was a section that at first I could not remove so I cut it off flush with a Dremel type of tool.  However, as the day grew warmer I found I could pull it all out.  Other than that I don't remember doing anything special to get it out.  My success probably had a lot to due with the deteriorated state of the stock trim and the 'gooeyness' of the black sealant, that and dumb luck.  The warmth of the day probably helped but I would not use any sort of heat gun or hair dryer as that could crack the glass!

Here is the flexible chrome I used- http://www.sportwing.com/chromebritemolding1wide.aspx  The 14' length was sufficient.  The flexible chrome came in a roll that I cut into proper lengths and laid out flat in the garage for a week or so before proceeding.   
Mark

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
That is really excellent. It looks great and the only reason you'd guess it might not be original is that it looks shiny, which IMO is how it should look. I replaced mine several years ago when I did the screen and you could buy the trim from Lotus dealers, but even as new it was always a dull sheen and never a good, chrome or polished aluminium like shine.

Great job.

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
WOW!  First rate job.  I'm interested in learning out how well the bond holds up in the summer heat.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
I put it on late last spring.  It survived the first summer just fine, but time will tell.
Mark

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
Wow! That windshield trim looks great. I've noticed many Europas on-line that have had all of the trim removed and left off. I inquired of one owner if he left the trim off (only the black seal remaining) because he preferred the look. He replied that when he replaced the windshield, the plated trim was impossible to re-fit. I was a bit puzzled but didn't press for more details. I thought that there might be some logic to his reply as so many Europas have the plated trim removed and left off. I'm glad to know that, true or not, there is an alternative. nice work.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »
Your trim looks great! thanks for the pics and directions on removing trim.
I just had my windshield (74 TCS)reset last year (leaking). I asked about reusing my trim, was told most likely could, depended condition after removal.  They reinstalled the trim, and it looks as before, but the metal trim inside the plastic is crinkled up, and looks bad.
When the weather warms, I'll follow your lead and redo mine.
thanks!
andyh

Offline 3929R

« Reply #8 on: Monday,November 18, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »
Mark

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #9 on: Monday,November 18, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »
New link to molding-
http://www.sportwing.net/chromebritemolding1wide.aspx
Timely post Mark. I was just about ask you which one you used.
Thanks!
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,November 19, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »
It looks so nice.  Thanks for the link Mark.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline 3929R

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
More info in this thread- http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1383.0

UPDATE- I believe this is what I used- https://www.sportwing.com/Dawn-Enterprises-Inc/AB10014-S-All-Brite-Molding?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

1" ALL BRITE MOLDING; 14' ROLL / AB10014-S

BRAND: Dawn Enterprises Inc.
PRODUCT CODE: AB10014-S
« Last Edit: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 10:12:51 AM by 3929R »
Mark

Offline Europa73

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,February 09, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »
This is perfect timing for me.

I was just on the Banks website today looking at the price of a new surround - UGggggg. Oddly enough the corner pieces came with the car.

On my car it looks at though allot of the rubber sealant also came off with the chrome surround. Please see the pic.

Any suggestions on what material I should use build up the sealant before attaching the new chrome surround?

Cheers,
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #13 on: Thursday,February 09, 2017, 10:39:41 PM »
As leaking screens are notorious on Europas, it is essential to get a good primer to stick to the fibreglass all round before the windscreen mastic is applied, otherwise it will not stick, and the dashboard will be affected as well as the carpet.

The screen on my current project leaked so badly,the pedals rusted solid, and the seat runner bolts had to be drilled out from under the car.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #14 on: Monday,February 13, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
I wish I could be of more help. The flexible chrome trim is holding up fine, but it is the cosmetic part of the seal. In the four years since I installed the trim I've only be in the rain once (I live in a desert) and I had a drip on my foot. I'm not sure if it came from the windshield and I haven't tried to find out because with <1.5"/month of rain and low humidity it's a low priority.

In addition to keeping rain out, the black goop needs to keep the windshield in, which helps hold the roof up. I believe in days past butyl was used as a sealant, but now urethane is used as a sealant/adhesive. I believe mine was sealed with butyl. It was sticky, gooey, and pliable, especially when the day got hot. I don't know what you have around your windshield currently, but from the pictures I had quite a bit more sealant and it looked in better shape to start with. I don't remember what specifically I used to attempt to reseal the glass. It was something labeled for windshield sealant repair.......
Mark