Author Topic: TCS Windshield Surround Alternative  (Read 12011 times)

Offline BDA

Re: TCS Windshield Surround Alternative
« Reply #15 on: Monday,February 13, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
I don't have much to add here. I've never had a problem with a leaking windshield (not that I remember, anyway). I would just add that when I was having my windshield installed, the first guy I called wouldn't guarantee that it would seal (!) so I called another guy. As he was installing my windshield, I mentioned my conversation with the first guy. He said, he wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't leak either! So far, it seems to be holding up pretty well. I have driven in the rain but I keep that sort of thing at a minimum.

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I'm in the throws of preparing for a windshield replacement and I've got a few questions as it applies to my TCS.

1. Is the original style (see attached picture from r.d.) plastic chrome trim actually necessary. I see the instructions in the S2 workshop manual (I assume the TC uses a "direct glazing windshield") and the plastic chrome trim seems integral yet earlier in this thread, 3929R states that the trim is purely decoration. I would like to use the chrome trim that he used but I also want a windshield that doesn't leak (mine doesn't).

2. Does anybody have any suggestions or comments for using the alternative trim that 3929R used, which is flat on the back rather than having a part that grips the windshield?

3. Pilkington seems like THE place for a new windshield, but with all the horror stories of windshields that are the wrong size, can anybody with a TC calm my nerves with a first hand experience with a Pilkington windshield that fit properly (or a similar story for an alternate supplier)?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »
Pilkington is the original manufacturer.  Their "classic" range are exactly as original.  Late S2 and TC/S all use the glue-in install.

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 02:45:42 PM »
Thanks, JB. Can you tell me if the original style trim is required or can the windshield be installed successfully with out it and the alternate trim be used?

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »
Yes the windscreen can be mounted directly to the fiberglass flange without the original trim. I have seen 2 examples, an S2 and a TC, with simple black vinyl trim covering the gap. Sorry no pictures.

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »
Thanks, Swift!

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
Did find a photo of the S2 with black vinyl windscreen trim:

http://www.clnw.org/wordpress/wp-content/lg-gallery/2016/2016%20ABFM/IMG_0785.JPG

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »
Thanks again, Swift!

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »
I used the method used by 3929r and I am very pleased with the results.  The original “chrome” insert turned black/brown in the Florida sun and I wasn’t going to do that again.  I polished the corner pieces and used pliers to adjust the corners to fit the narrower trim.  i glued the corners down with urethane adhesive.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
BDA, although I am far from installing my windshield I did speak with a couple of professional installers and they all told me the same thing, use adhesive that is designed for fiberglass to glass adhesion. Both of them told me their install would not leak, no way as it was a direct glue in job (as long as the surface area was clean).

I bought RD’s trim kit with the corners. I tried to find OEM in all the places I know......not available. With a fresh paint job I was told the smaller dimension trim would not be a problem.

By the way, I have two new windshields in my garage, but I’m not willing to sell one until mine is completely installed (sorry, but I have heard these can crack during installation).

Good luck with your removal (which is a lot of work) and install.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
Richard at Banks sells a black rubber seal that replaces the plastic chrome trim that was on the TC/S
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »
Thanks, Pfreen, Certified, and Joe! I feel a bit better about this whole enterprise now!

I may want to come up your way, Certified! I talked to two installers down here and neither one would guarantee it wouldn't leak (the second one told me that when he was half finished!).

I guess this is a case of the more I know, the more worried I am. Nothing about the install worried me the first time, but this time I am!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 06:18:38 PM »
Been there...

Pilkington with all new trim and corners from Ray...measure, miter, heat gun to shape and Silkaflex.

He was able to get me the original foil inlay style from Japan, and the gasket profile is exactly the same as you have pictured.

When you do have it done, remember to support the roof from inside during install, the weight of the glass will cause a slight sag...leave it propped till cured.

« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 02, 2018, 02:50:12 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 06:43:52 PM »
That looks great, Lou! That really argues for r.d.'s trim and doing it "vanilla" is a bit more comforting.

I know about supporting the roof. The guy who installed my current windshield did that on his own. He did a great job but I don't remember who he was!  :headbanger:

Thanks for chiming in, Lou!

Offline BDA

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »
Now might be a good time to say that Hagerty has been really great! The back story to this is that I have a star in the upper right area of the windshield. It might be repairable but I plan on having my windshield tinted and I've been advised that the heat gun used in applying the tinting will likely cause the fix to re-crack and get worse. They are willing to install a new windshield for me knowing this. It just occurred to me that it would be worth a call to a windshield repair outfit to see if they would worry about the heat gun and if not, then I would go with the fix and save Hagerty a lot of money. But, I just want to say, I can't say enough good things about them. I've never needed a claim on the Lotus's insurance before, but I wish I had insured with them as soon as I got my car on the road! All this and they are actually less expensive than my old insurance! If you don't have them, it might be worth your while to check into them!