Author Topic: Getting There...  (Read 5446 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Getting There...
« on: Thursday,September 08, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
659R's back end isn't done, but it's done enough to show off.
« Last Edit: Thursday,September 08, 2016, 03:05:35 PM by LeftAngle »
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Online BDA

Re: Getting There...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,September 08, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »
This looks great!  :beerchug:

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,September 08, 2016, 09:47:31 PM »
Look'n Nasty!  8)  :trophy:
The tail lights & exhaust ports compliment each other well.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 08:19:21 AM »
Agreed! That thing looks mean.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Online BDA

« Reply #4 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 08:21:54 AM »
I went back to some of your old posts but didn't see where you said - what engine are you using? Those pipes are pretty big for Renault or even a Ztec, for that matter.

Edit: I just looked again and I see those aren't the pipes, but rather a place for them to exit. Still, two pipes for a four banger seems excessive!

I'd also say that you need to post more pictures!
« Last Edit: Friday,September 09, 2016, 08:25:08 AM by BDA »

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #5 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
   :holdurbreath:  I'll try to post photos, but as it's still in process, it'll be constantly changing.  The body had been finished, but it's being modified again, so that'll make any new photos look like old ones. Very confusing... But I'll do it.

The car is being built as a show car.  The concept is: the car's a Type 65.  As There's no Type 66, the next leap for the Europa was the Esprit, a more design, less function vehicle. 

The only advanced version of the Europa was the Type 62.  I want to imagine what the Europa might have looked like if extreme lightness made way for some aesthetics... Something between the 62 and 65.  It has features of the 62, but toned down to production car proportions.  Every panel has been modified, with the exception of the doors (the roof has men modified underneath).  The front fenders are 2" higher over the wheels to make the body line look right.  Changes like that aren't noticeable because, well, the body lines look right :). Other changes like the headlight openings being smaller and longer are unnoticeable as well for the same reason.  The "hey, look at my motor" window doesn't fit into my concept though.  It's there for shows.  I doubt Lotus would ever stoop so low as to design one in.  Same goes for the dual exhaust.   I'd like the sound of a larger muffler, so I have one that'll sit athwartship. The additional piping will twist around for added interest.  Also, the car will have ground effect stuff at the back.  Mainly because I like it, and Lotus came up with the idea anyway, so I should get a pass on that.

The car is and will most likely continue to change as time goes on, but the idea is to make it look like it was a factory produced "Type 66".

The motor is as it came from the factory.  It's been modified for looks along with the rest of the engine bay components.  Someday, it might get swapped out, but for now, it's the way it is.  Oh, one other thing just for show.  The entire engine bay is lined (as will the front compartment) in patterned carbon fiber.  For the same reason Apple removed the ear plug on the new iPhone... Courage.

Here's the project so far.  Starting in chronological order and try to show items I've mentioned here. I'll add as many pictures as I can before I go over the limit:

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #6 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
Forgot the ground effect stuff.  This is a Photoshopped picture.  The parts are ready for welding, but my aluminum welding technique isn't a flowing row of nickels, it's more the bird s**t method, so they have to be sent out.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #7 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
Oh, and the carbon fiber:

Online BDA

« Reply #8 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, LeftAngle! You've done some great work! Your car really does look great! I suspect that most of us here enjoy seeing the evolution of your car!

Keep up the great work!  :beerchug:

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #9 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »
I do have a question for those who know about such things.  The body's sitting an inch and a half too high.  Absolutely nothing on the suspension has been altered since the body was taken off.  Fiberglass weight has been reduced, but the additional curves would most likely remove that as a reason.  The fuel tanks have been changed to aluminum, but the oil pan is now a billeted chunk of metal filled with crank scrapers.  There's no gas in the tanks, but there wasn't any at the time it was taken apart.  The front end is the same way.  It's sitting directly on the frame, but still high-rise.  Unless someone knows the reason for this happening, I'll be cutting the springs to bring it back down to earth.   My engineering mind still needs to know why though, so any expertise on this would be appreciated.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »
Wait on the spring cutting.  Get it running and drive it go see if it will settle.

Online BDA

« Reply #11 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
Is the entire body sitting too high? You aren't using a TC frame, are you? I assume you have adjustable spring perches on your shocks and you've adjusted them as low as you can.

I agree with John. I wouldn't cut any springs until you've decided that there is no more settling to come. I know you're aiming for a show car, but I assume you want to have fun driving it, too. Cutting springs will likely lower the car, but it will increase the spring rate - possibly stiffer than you want.

I think it was because of headlight height regulations, the front of the TC cannot be lowered as low as an S2 - but that's not likely your problem since you are starting with an S2.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #12 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
John might know better but the only thing I can think of for a high ride height may be from tighting the suspension bushing bolts while the suspension is at full droop on stands or a hoist.  This will not allow the suspension to settle to proper ride height.  Typically those suspension bushing bolts should be tightened when the car is on the ground will all the weight on the tires.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Online BDA

« Reply #13 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
Good point, Rosco. I would add this only applies to the front suspension and it doesn't have to be on the ground, but rather that the suspension is at ride height when you tighten the nuts. This is because if you were to tighten them at full droop or full bump, the rubber in the bushings would shear from the angular movement of the suspension arm. This is not an issue if you use spherical rod ends or poly bushes, etc.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #14 on: Friday,September 09, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »
I'm another "wait until it's moving" before hacking at the springs. You might have a case where the body hasn't settled properly on the frame ?

When taking ride height measurements I think it's better to go off the chassis than the bodywork, although bodywork measurements are easier for quick reference once you know the relationship between wheel arch height and chassis height.

Looking a the rear hoop on the photo at the top of the page your ride height looks about normal, what's that measurement between the bottom of the hoop and ground, somewhere in the 8-10" region ?   If you can measure underneath the central spine of the chassis just behind the front crossmember, I think mine's around 6" there.

Brian

edit to add - the bodywork is looking great, amazing what a bit of paint does !