Author Topic: S1 Window Questions  (Read 1020 times)

Offline ICSNO

S1 Window Questions
« on: Wednesday,July 06, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
S1 - Fixed windows, fixed seats (adjustable pedals though), metal dash
S1A - Removable windows (into inserts in doors), fixed seats (adjustable pedals), wood dash
S1B - Same as S1A except with S2 tail lights and rear grille.
S2 - Horizontal shaped dash (wood), electric windows, body bolted to frame (not fiberglassed), adjustable seats, different door handles

After doing some research on S1 and S2 Europas, this is what I have learned.  First of all, did I miss anything on the differences?

My main question has to do with S1 Europas though.  From what I've read, it has fixed windows.  Are these fixed with bolts or glue or...?  Is it possible to remove them easily for a drive on a nice day (similar to S1A & B except the opening would be full size)?  Obviously they would have to be left behind instead of in the doors.  If not, are there aftermarket options to make an S1 able to remove or open its (full size) windows from Banks, Dave Bean, etc?  I remember seeing a Europa that could crack open the rear of the window if you wanted some air.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
Re: S1 Window Questions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 06, 2016, 10:48:17 PM »
They are completely fixed with rubber seals, originally they couldn't be opened or removed.

Using a hinge at the front and a latch at the rear, you can make them so they can open a bit at the rear (look for photographs of Lotus 47s).

If you use a quick release pin in the hinge and latch, you could make them removable.

Serge

Offline ICSNO

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,July 07, 2016, 02:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply Serge!  I watch your videos by the way, and they're fantastic!  Thanks for posting those.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,July 07, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
Early S2s use the S1 door button latches.

S1/a/b used metal or wood dash and console inserts in a moulded fibreglass dash.

Offline ezuskin

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,July 09, 2016, 07:53:07 PM »
Hi,
I bought a Perspex window from Banks and a glass less door from RD years ago and had it painted when I had everything repainted. Took some grinding and fiddling around to make it fit, cobble up some weatherstrip, and get recommendations from others for some McMaster Carr quick release pins for forward part and a used pop out window mechanism from a 70s VW bus on eBay for the rear portion. FINALLY, can get some fresh air and hang my arm out of the window. I will hunt around for those quick release parts from McMaster Carr. Can't resize pics on IPad so will need to send from laptop.
Eddie Zuskin
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,July 10, 2016, 05:23:13 AM »
Very interested to see all the detailed photos you can provide!