Author Topic: For Sale 1971 S2 w/4AGE swap  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

For Sale 1971 S2 w/4AGE swap
« on: Sunday,October 04, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
I'm posting this ad as a favor for the current owner. He pretty much bid the car on a whim when it came up on ebay a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately, he got caught up in a bidding war and ended up with the winning bid. Flash forward a couple of years and pretty much came to the conclusion that he's never going to finish the car and decided to put it up for sale. I answered the Craigslist ad and these are additional details on the car and my own personal observations after looking the car over.

As stated earlier, the current owner bought the car sight unseen except for the ebay pictures. He only got as far as replacing one of the rear stub axles and hubs. Being a mechanic and working on scores of other projects, he decided that this was going to take more of his time than anticipated.  The car then sat until posted for sale on CL.

Looking over the car, these are my observations and info after talking with the owner. The car was fairly recently repainted by the PO from original white to it's current red. Not an expert in painting but the paint job looks very good to my eyes.

The 'ahem', body modifications were done by the PO, probably his vision of the ultimate Europa. The body mods may not be your cup of tea, but they appear to have been done professionally along with the paint.

The engine used in the transplant is a 20v Silvertop 4AGE. The PO thankfully kept the EFI . The engine compartment looks pretty rough. There doesn't appear to be much thought put into the exhaust system. The “headers” are pretty much straight exhaust tube welded to a flange and pointed back to a 4 into 1 collector. The muffler exits under the car with about 5”-6” ground clearance. Everything else in the engine compartment looks passable. The car was fitted with twin gas tanks and flip top covers. The engine does start and runs fairly smoothly.

The pictures tell the story about the interior. The dash is a home made special and the seats appear to have been reupholstered. The carpets need to be replaced along with the head liner.

Did not look at the suspension but the PO did put 215/60/13s in the rear and 155/60/13s up front on Western? Wheels.

The biggest issue facing the new owner will be the wiring. As can be seen from the pictures, the harness was cut in several places. Obviously, a new harness will be in order.

The CL ad states that the S2 is a 1972 model (probably from the registration) but I believe that it is a 1971 build date. The current owner is a straight forward, upfront guy but with no previous Lotus experience and buying the car on a whim, he just would like it to go to a good home.

The S2 is currently advertised on Craigslist (Inland Empire, Ca). In case the current owner removes the CL listing, I've copied the ad below.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5238833980.html

donjaharis@yahoo.com
619-787-8274

Additional pictures are located on:

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/gallery/0901R

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Original Craigslist ad

lotus - $6500 (anza.ca.)

1972 lotus Europa recent body and paint. car runs and drives. has been fitted with a Toyota 4 valve twin cam FI engine.needs wiring under dash.I have some manuels and receipts.I have ca. title in my name.car is non opted. no fees due. needs tlc

« Last Edit: Sunday,October 04, 2015, 06:08:17 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline Richard48Y

Re: For Sale 1971 S2 w/4AGE swap
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 06, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »
Found this old post when searching for Dash Modifications.
The Hood Scoop gave me a good laugh!
Did anyone ever complete this car?

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: For Sale 1971 S2 w/4AGE swap
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,September 12, 2021, 08:45:07 AM »
The car was sold to someone in the Los Angeles area. He got it running and back on the road and flipped it. I saw the car back for sale on CL a couple of months ago.