Author Topic: Time to let 1098R go  (Read 919 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Time to let 1098R go
« on: Thursday,July 09, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
I think that I've done as much to 1098R as I can or want to and it's time to let the next owner finish the job. It took several frustrating years after acquiring the car to get it into a road worthy condition. Dealing with a frozen Solex butterfly shaft (replaced with a Weber DFEV), multiple issues with engine cooling (finally resolved after 3-4 years of tinkering), bad master cylinder (self inflicted), moisture damaged interior, and typical intermittent starter issues.

Returned from a 20 mile shake down run this morning after about a year of the car sitting and the S2 ran without any major issues. The only cause for concern during the 20 mile drive was the low cooling temperature through out the drive. It stayed at 60 deg C even going up a 3mile uphill stretch in third gear running 4k – 4.5k rpm. It was only when I stopped to pick up the morning paper and then going up a ¼ mile hill to my property that the coolant temperature started rising with the fan coming on at around 80-85 deg C. I have a low temperature (72 deg C) thermostat installed, wonder if it's stuck open.

I learned a lot dealing with and fixing the issues on the S2 to get in running condition again. The biggest lesson was not to be a hack; a bigger hammer will not always fix things and have the right tool. I'll have it up for sale in a few weeks after putting a few more test more miles on it.

Offline BDA

Re: Time to let 1098R go
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,July 09, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »
Thinning the herd Joji? That looks like a great car! Have you sold the JPS?

Good luck with them. I hope you get a good price on them!

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Time to let 1098R go
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,July 09, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
yeah, need to let things go sometimes. I had fun working on 1098R but need to work on other projects. 1090R seems to be a good solid runner, will need a lot of sanding to get it ready for a paint job but at least you can drive it while working on the body. Should have the ad ready next week.

I had a lot of inquiries on the JPS but no offers yet. I'm in no hurry and will wait for the right offer.

Joji