Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 66474 times)

Offline buzzer

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #135 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 07:40:56 AM »
I think there is certainly a market for it in the UK in the right areas and it 's a fantastic idea. I can see some challenges from an insurance point of view. who is responsible to maintain the equipment in a suitable condition and training, which it does seem that you have covered.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #136 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
At ours the chairperson of each group (machine shop, metalworking, woodworking, automotive, etc) is given funds from memberships and donations to maintain equipment and purchase consumables. I am not sure what kind of insurance policy they have, but I could find out. Training is offered by volunteers who have expertise in the equipment. The organization functions as a non profit and I don't think anyone there is paid outside of membership reimbursement for teaching a class. Some things like 3d printer filament is paid for by weight once you print your part, but you can bring your own and print for free. Most things are totally covered though. For instance you do not have to provide endmills or other tools for the CNC machines, those come out of the membership fees.

I do know that the local fire marshal has an issue with the CNC plasma cutter, so it is currently off limits to run...

Offline shortjedi

« Reply #137 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
Chuck,  I'm surprised that you are fitting a zetec into this car. An original big valve TCS is a very rare and valuable Europa. Probably the most collectable ! 
These things are attracting big money now.
I shouldn't preach , I'm fitting one in mine but mine is not original.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #138 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »
Chuck,  I'm surprised that you are fitting a zetec into this car. An original big valve TCS is a very rare and valuable Europa. Probably the most collectable ! 

Mine was left for dead. I am missing pistons, con rods, and main caps. While I realize those are ford parts, from the damage done to the head It would probably take $5-7k to rebuild it to original spec... That is more than I have in the whole car right now. I got the used RUNNING zetec for $300 bucks...hard to beat that, and it should be more powerful to boot. I guess I could put the TC in at a later date if I decide I want to sell...but I plan to drive the thing daily.

Also check out my new dashboard! The CNC router cut all the rabbits in the back in a single go. Probably 5 minutes of total cut time...Never mind all the hours I spent mocking the thing up in CAD...
Now time for some CF layup...Personally I think a nice walnut burl looks better, but in the spirit of trying new things I cant resist.

Offline BDA

« Reply #139 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 09:51:54 PM »
You may want to put something else besides the dimmer on the right. I doubt you'd ever want to dim your dash lights. I put an oil temp gauge there.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #140 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Time trial stopwatch!

Offline shortjedi

« Reply #141 on: Friday,January 22, 2016, 12:45:12 AM »

Mine was left for dead. I am missing pistons, con rods, and main caps. While I realize those are ford parts, from the damage done to the head It would probably take $5-7k to rebuild it to original spec... That is more than I have in the whole car right now. I got the used RUNNING zetec for $300 bucks...hard to beat that, and it should be more powerful to boot. I guess I could put the TC in at a later date if I decide I want to sell...but I plan to drive the thing daily.

Also check out my new dashboard! The CNC router cut all the rabbits in the back in a single go. Probably 5 minutes of total cut time...Never mind all the hours I spent mocking the thing up in CAD...
Now time for some CF layup...Personally I think a nice walnut burl looks better, but in the spirit of trying new things I cant resist.

I understand your dilemma, just hang onto the original engine.   Maybe find the time and money to sort it at a later date.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #142 on: Friday,January 22, 2016, 06:43:47 AM »

I understand your dilemma, just hang onto the original engine.   Maybe find the time and money to sort it at a later date.

Definitely  :)

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #143 on: Tuesday,February 09, 2016, 10:26:06 AM »
So lots of talk on my end about carbon this and carbon that....

The dash is not finished yet. Still need to trim a bit and then gloss it up with a nice clear coat.

As for the trumpet...I tried 3d printing the mold and it worked...once. I will have to try another solution for the mold as plastic doesn't stand up to my release methods. The part came out looking OK, it was more of a test piece and was made with scraps left over from the dash. It had some voids because I could not press the two molds together hard enough to disperse the resin properly. It was an interesting trial! 38 grams for the trumpet, I think Collin would approve.

3 more to go!!

I am also working on making a mold of the front spoiler.... more to follow in the coming weeks!
« Last Edit: Tuesday,February 09, 2016, 06:55:48 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #144 on: Thursday,February 11, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »
Truck related diversion...my first milled cnc part!

Offline BDA

« Reply #145 on: Thursday,February 11, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
Congratulatiohs!!   :beerchug:

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #146 on: Monday,April 04, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »
OK more CNC stuff.
I have a good opportunity at work to use time to get more experienced on the mill....so I might as well use that time to make lotus parts.

The exhaust ports on the zetec are a funny shape...I don't know why they couldn't just make them circular, or ovular, or any symmetric shape for that matter... There were two styles of headgasket, one that matches the port closely which I have ('96 contour), and one that is circular that appeared to go on later the 00-04 focus. As far as I am aware the shape of the exhaust port did not change...If it did I got the gimpy head

I could probably just weld round tube to a round hole and call it done...but I feel compelled to complicate my already full life. I am going to match the port shape on the stainless header flange via CNC and also machine up a die to form the leading edge of the header to match that port.

Relevant? probably not very.... Fun? absolutely

Anyone have any good lit on tuning headers?

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #147 on: Monday,April 04, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
That's interesting, I never did look at the ports in the head.  I merely chopped off the existing primaries from the stock header (00-04 Focus) and welded on my own set up.  The next time in the garage I'll have a look to see if the later head has the odd shaped ports.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #148 on: Monday,April 04, 2016, 05:12:23 PM »
On the exhaust header I just bought an after market one. It was like $100.00 or so.

Some where I have a steel exhaust flange I bought from Dunnell Engines. If your interested in it I'll dig it out. You can have it for the cost of shipping.
« Last Edit: Monday,April 04, 2016, 05:14:48 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #149 on: Wednesday,April 06, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
Joe thank you for the generous offer! I am only going to the trouble because I need to get some more time with the mill. Otherwise I would certainly take you up on it.

Thanks!!