Author Topic: New baby delivered...Type 65 S2! with a twist....  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

New baby delivered...Type 65 S2! with a twist....
« on: Monday,February 22, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
Well boys and girls it happened...again. Another Europa for me! I have quite the collection going....
It is claimed to be a 1970 S2 and seems like an early car. Vin was not very visible, but it appeared to be 02xxR. This is my most complete Europa yet!

It rolls!
It shifts gear!
My god!!! I could get used to this!!

Now for the twist. It has a crossflow Renault engine that is fuel injected and appears like it may have once been turbocharged. I am no expert on the Renault stuff so I am hoping someone here will recognize this block. Exhaust is missing, and the manifold has a rectangular flange on the end of it. I found an instrument panel in the trunk from an unknown car which had a turbo gauge on it....Gotta be turbo right?!?! :p I will get some better pics tomorrow. Such an interesting day! You never know what will turn up!

The other possibility might be from a Renault 18i?

Comes complete with rat shit :) Firewall already disintegrated for easy pulley access...
« Last Edit: Monday,February 22, 2016, 10:56:21 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: New baby delivered...Type 65 S2! with a twist....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 06:02:45 AM »
Hhmmm... a very interesting find indeed. I am quite intrigued by that engine, though the FI makes me shudder. Congrats ont he new arrival!  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »
It seems that you just don't have enough to do, Chuck! If all your other projects haven't already, this one should keep you off the streets! Congratulations on your new toy!  :beerchug:

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 09:14:13 AM »
Looks like an 807 crossflow!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,February 24, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
Looks like it is definitely a turbo motor. Haven't found the turbo yet, but the bonnet is still locked up....

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,February 24, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »
The plot thickens!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,February 25, 2016, 05:28:07 AM »
A bath did her good!

Up to this point I did not realize that the Europa took 3 keys. None of my cars have keys... I ordered a lock pick set to get things started. Since it would cost over $100 a car to get each lock decoded, times 3 for my current herd, plus however many future keyless cars I get....I think it is time I become a full fledged lock ninja.

I have a friend with a TCS who knows of a Fuego aficionado that lives in the country. He is the kind of aficionado that purchases a $25k Lear jet, and then decides to fly it around.... Hopefully he has a turbocharger for me and perhaps even a spare engine and NG3 for my future endeavors.

Looks like I will be making an s2 dash as well...

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,February 25, 2016, 06:35:00 AM »
It's amazing what a bath will do! That's a very valuable ashtray! They are made of unobtainium! :)

I think I have a rear view mirror if you're interested.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,February 25, 2016, 08:30:51 AM »
Chuck,

The turbo Fuego motor I have is designated A7 on it's engine plate. My engine is fairly complete except for a damaged blow off valve. This is the first time I've heard of someone successfully stuffing a turbo Fuego into a S2.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline 3929R

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,February 25, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
She's cleaning up well.

My car came with NO keys (my dad must have taken them with him to the grave).  I was able to get all three keys cut by using the key codes I found on the locks.  I used Steve's Lock Shop http://www.steveslockshop.com/ and Triple C  http://www.triple-c.com/Lotus_Replacement_Car_Keys.cfm .

The keys can be cut by code, but you might have an issue with knowing which blank to cut the code onto.  The two locks shops listed above  were both great to work with.  I only had one incorrect key cut and that was correct on the second try. 

I removed the electrical cap off the back of the ignition switch to find a paper label with a hand written three digit code that was the key code.  I did this with the lock still in place.  Even in extreme Lotus position I could not read the label.  So I used a digital camera. 

I also removed the drivers door lock (luckily the doors were not locked) and rear deck lid lock (after removing the hinge pins to get the deck lid off), then removed the lock cylinders from these locks to find their key codes (also 3 digits? but stamped on metal). 
I don't remember all the details, but I made this note about the rear deck lock: "The lock has a stop that prevents the cylinder from being taped out unless the lock pins are depressed with something such as a bobby pin."  Beyond that I think disassemble was somewhat intuitive.

Here is the original thread from the Yahoo Group with advice I got, some better than others.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotuseuropa/message/109471

Of course you can buy proper locks with keys from RD.  He has them listed on his web page.  $104 for a door set and $97 for a bonnet and engine cover set.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,February 25, 2016, 11:43:23 AM »
Many years ago, I got a spare set of keys made at Sears from the blanks they had in stock. I suspect that a good hardware store would also have a large enough selection of blanks that they could make another set of keys. As you noted, rd enterprises has locks with keys and also key blanks (though I don't see blanks for the boot and bonnet locks right away).

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,February 27, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Joji, I haven't had a chance to dig too deep in to the set up yet. It looks like custom motor mount brackets were made, and like a small window was cut in the frame on the drivers side to allow pipes to pass through. All the lines need to be replaced that is for sure! I am going to pull the starter and alternator and get them checked out. The spark plugs are unfired (don't know if that is good or bad!) I scoped the rear cylinder with a camera and it checked out fine. Time to clean it a little more. I am going to replace the dash with one of mine while I wait for the lock pick set to come in the mail...

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,February 28, 2016, 06:42:30 AM »
That looks like a great find.  Something very different with turbo on it.  Is the plan to get it all running with the turbo? 
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,March 01, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
So my lock pick set came in today.... Ill just leave this here

Meet Colin and Clive everybody!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,March 02, 2016, 07:40:32 AM »
So the turbocharger is a mitsubishi unit that was modified to fit the exhaust manifold. It spins freely (besides the rat shit) and the waste gate operates nicely. As I'm sure you all can tell by now I rarely buy something that functions which at this point is to my detriment! I moved the project car to the project house that we are fixing up so pardon the mess and white dodge. If anybody wants a white dodge avenger speak now because I am hauling it off next week...

At least the cat came with the house to kill the rats that came with the car. As Charlie Sheen would say...WINNING!

I have hauled about 60 bags of trash out of there and there is more to go...I am glad that we found a litter of newborn kittens there because it is now much easier to get my girlfriend to come help with the demo. :)

Gentlemen you are witnessing the descent of a man in to madness...