Author Topic: Think you can drive ?...Try a racing school first !  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Think you can drive ?...Try a racing school first !
« on: Sunday,July 07, 2013, 03:55:22 AM »
For most of us afflicted with the speed bug, we seem to think that everything we do behind the wheel is second nature. I always considered myself better than most, having some nerve and a little talent that would get me by.

Boy was I mistaken...Back in 76, when it really hit me, I decided to see If I had what it takes to drive with your head & heart.
I searched around to find the best driving school at the time that would give me the most seat time and exposure to open wheel cars. I finally decided to try Jim Russell International racing drivers School Canada. With past graduates the likes of Emerson Fittipaldi, Keke Rosberg and Gilles Villenueve it wasn't hard to choose where I wanted to learn. What followed was a five day immersion into the realm of controlled fear, relaxation and confidence. Slip angles, apexes, tire contact, roll, pitch, yaw, trail braking, side slipping, vision to read a corner...it went on and on every day. I was humbled on how much was needed to truly understand the "'Art" of being fast.

Back then there were no road sedans to practice in. You were strapped in straight away. In my case, a Lotus 51 Formula Ford.
My Chief Instructor, Jacques Couture a former Canadian Champ, and ex-mechanic on Jim Clark's 25 & 33 chassis was for me the perfect fit. "Get comfortable", he said," you will only begin to know, once you become one with the car.  Remember your braking points, brake in a straight line, then turn the wheel, controlled throttle on exit."  Forty years later, those few reminders have been ingrained into my soul, to know smooth is fast and the best way to be quick.

Since then, I have tried to keep the edge in place, racing formula fords (rented and my own), and later, Go Karts for reaction training. I also had the chance to drive with Derek Daly at his school in Vegas. A bit more power w/ff2000 cars; but, the principals between the schools remain the same.

If you haven't tried a school.....Go..... it' a lifechanger....some shots of Ol' Canada are attached...ld   
« Last Edit: Monday,July 08, 2013, 03:25:16 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
Re: Think you can drive ?...Try a racing school first !
« Reply #1 on: Monday,July 08, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
My father told me a quiet similar story about his race driving course. He started racing in 1970.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Think you can drive ?...Try a racing school first !
« Reply #2 on: Monday,July 08, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
Thank you Mecky,  Took a look at your web page, very Impressive collection...Good Luck & be safe.ld