Author Topic: '74 headlight switch pulled apart, replace or repair?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline analogmike

• My racing website
'74 headlight switch pulled apart, replace or repair?
« on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm finally driving my "new" Twin Cam. I was told the headlight switch needed replacing but it worked fine... till it came apart. I was able to stick it in and pull at an angle to get the lights on to make it back home from work. It does not seem to have "broken", seems machined that way but not sure. Maybe it was glued together, some good epoxy might work. I can't seem to find a replacement though I will be in London in a few weeks maybe I can look there.

Any ideas if this can be fixed, or if I can replace it? Knob comes off fine so I can put the knob on a new switch if needed but I hope I can fix it.

Regards, mike

'73 911RS, '08 911 GT3 cup, '01 Viper GTS, '74 Lotus Europa Special, '15 Audi S3, '06 MiniCooperS, '04 TowRig

Online BDA

Re: '74 headlight switch pulled apart, replace or repair?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »
That looks like the shaft of the switch stuck in the knob. There should be a hole on the side of the knob which is where a detent 'button' on the shaft locks the knob onto the shaft. You just press that 'button' with a small punch and pull the shaft out. The original switch is NLA but there is a substitution - Lucas PPG1 style (I've attached a picture from the web page of a source in England). The connections are clamped with a screw so you'll have to make up adapters using heavy wire and spade lugs. Moss Motors (http://www.mossmotors.com/) and probably other places have them on this side of the pond. I believe they are for an MG TD but if you tell them what I've told you, they should be able to set you up.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Offline analogmike

• My racing website
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »
thanks for the picture!

The hex part with the button are still inside the knob, I can pull the hex part out of the knob. But the hex part came out of the body of the switch...

It was dark so I could not really see inside the switch but when I stuck it back in and pulled at an angle, I got the lights on again and put the part in my pocket.
Regards, mike

'73 911RS, '08 911 GT3 cup, '01 Viper GTS, '74 Lotus Europa Special, '15 Audi S3, '06 MiniCooperS, '04 TowRig

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »
The hex part with the button are still inside the knob, I can pull the hex part out of the knob. But the hex part came out of the body of the switch...
Right.
when I stuck it back in and pulled at an angle, I got the lights on again
How that worked is confusing to me, but it doesn't matter. A new switch is in order. Enjoy your time upside down behind the dash!  :P

Offline 3929R

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »
Fellow poster Andy Harwood sent me some knob parts that just arrived today (see pic). I used one of the plastic knobs but not the switch. I'm not sure but I think it is the headlight switch. If you can use it, I'd be happy to pass it along.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Online BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »
Yes, that's an original headlight switch.

Offline analogmike

• My racing website
« Reply #6 on: Friday,November 06, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »
Awesome, that switch should do the trick if it works!!

I looked more closely and seems there was a sheath over the rod that is still attached to my knob, and the sheath is what broke. Epoxy might work but best to replace it.

3929R, please email me at analogmike at aol dot com and I can send you some money for shipping etc and give you my address, thanks so much!
Regards, mike

Online BDA

« Reply #7 on: Friday,November 06, 2015, 09:14:38 AM »
Just a tip, you can send a private message for this sort of thing. Go to 'My Messages' and select 'Send a message'.

Offline analogmike

• My racing website
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,November 07, 2015, 05:12:22 PM »
Looks like I will be getting the switch part from 3929R, thanks, this forum is great!!

I took a look behind the dash and had to laugh - mine is already the replacement one that BDA posted above, with the screw terminals! I epoxied mine for now and it's working till I get the replacement. It is mounter close to the edge of the dashboard so I don't think my bad neck and back will hurt my chances of fixing it without a trip to the doctor.

Thanks to all!
Regards, mike