Author Topic: new member  (Read 65155 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: new member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,December 14, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
Hi, can you post a picture of the engine? I've been searching for a Renault crossflow engine.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,December 14, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
I generally don't jack my car from the fiberglass - except in the front where I have to use the stock scissor jack to get the front high enough to put a jack under the T of the frame. I forgot to mention before that in the back, I jack up from the tranny and support it at the rear hoop. There are a few different hoops and mine goes pretty low so that makes it easier. I've seen people support from the Y of the frame but that ends up being very tall. You will probably have to make something special to jack from and support when you get past a certain height.

Good luck and keep those updates and pictures coming!

Offline rascott

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,December 14, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
sorry- i bozoed w/the pictures, and there is probably a better way to post 'em.
it has these numbers on the block: 843 7180
no clue as to condition.

i have seen drawings of the stock jack, and it looks like i want one. gonna need a rim for a spare and eight more lug nuts also.
hmmm. where did i put that last list i started?
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 14, 2014, 02:59:22 PM by rascott »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,December 14, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
Stock jacks are hard to find as they were usually pulled from the car by the original owner and then lost.

The Renault crossflow is a pretty good engine.  Somewhat old school combustion chambers but the engine is very light given its strong, alloy block and head.  You can easily make as much power as twink and longer lived as well.

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Sunday,December 14, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »
If you're handy with a welder - or you may not that - but you could probably make your own. The original jack was just a simple scissor jack with an 'L' shaped piece to catch the corner of the body work behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel (I think - I never use that jack point). In fact, if your scissor jack has a flat lift pad, that would probably be enough if you were careful to position it under the vertical section of the wheel well.

You could start with something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T10152-Scissor-Jack-1-5/dp/B004PX8BC2)

and attach the 'L' shaped piece to the top. I'll try to get a picture of my jack tomorrow.

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,December 20, 2014, 01:13:42 PM »
Sorry it took so long but here are a couple of pictures of my jack (original to the car). You can see the 'L' shaped piece I referred to. It is attached so that it swivels which is very handy but if you're making your own, I don't think it's necessary.

Offline rascott

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,December 20, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
o k. that looks like the one from my little suzuki- which i use all the time, 'cause its so small and handy.
i saw some drawings in a workshop manual(for lotus) that made it look a bit different- more like a little floor jack.

i have amused myself(it's been raining a bit) by working over the gas tank.
i had to drill and retap that drain- the plug wasn't coming out for nothin'.
i probably won't put it back in until next year, as i have to become social(holiday commitments).
ho ho ho.

btw- i'm trying to find a replacement pcv valve for this little renault. mine seems to have no moving parts- that can't be right.

Offline rascott

« Reply #22 on: Friday,January 02, 2015, 09:34:25 AM »
happy new year!
still involved w/the fuel tank project. the tank should be o k, but I need to fix what it fastens too.
i have removed most of the sediment and debris out of a lot of the body with a pressure washer, scrapers, brush, and needed a square tip shovel and broom to clean the driveway afterward.
i have found no chassis number.
some body repairs have been made to the rear. nicely done, also. i found some cardboard forming in the l/r wheel well, and can see some other signs from the engine compartment. i hope to do as good a job.
i have a boat. how different could this be?
mabe i'll have the tank back in next week.......

i've started working on a temporary thing to hold the steering wheel up and hold some instruments.

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Friday,January 02, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
It sounds like you're heading in the right direction. If you have experience in doing 'glass work on your boat, there will be a lot of similarities. The main difference is the thickness of the panels. If you have any questions, don't be shy about asking for advice.

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Friday,January 02, 2015, 09:55:42 AM »

Offline rascott

« Reply #25 on: Friday,January 02, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »
oh! a handle! i haven't had an original jack handle for i don't know how long. -thanks.
i suspect a rear clip was done:

and i think done rather well- i think from the middle of the wells back- a bit more on the driver's side.
like you said- thin panel(and not a lot o' collateral "slop")

i am gonna climb in and fix where the tank mounts........
i may treat it to some bilge-kote.

upchuck010315-
i made the fiberglass repairs to the fuel tank mount points. i will have to do some more repair where the battery seems to fit.
i am treating it to some bilge-kote.
i have never seen a thermostat that fits in a radiator hose before.

blabon010415-
i have the tank in place. still need to make spacer/mount things and find fasteners......... and hope it doesn't leak.
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 04, 2015, 06:01:02 PM by rascott »

Offline BDA

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday,January 06, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »
The repair looks very nice! I hope your tank doesn't leak, too! Maybe you could test it before going through the trouble of putting it in the car...

I'm not sure if you just looked at the link or followed it. The ebay link I posted is for a complete Europa jack with handle and a bag (I don't remember mine having a bag). The text of the link seems to imply it's just a handle.

Offline rascott

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday,January 06, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »
i did look, and thanks again for the link.
the only time i had a complete set was when i bought a new car.... every used one had either a jack or a handle.
the one i found pictured in a workshop manual looked unique:

musta been artistic license?

perhaps i will have the renault ticking soon.
mabe i can get some of the instruments to work.
mabe i can fab a pedal assembly so I can see what the clutch does.
and the gearbox.
not worried about the brakes yet.
also wondering how to deal with the windshield and windows and door/trunk/engine cover latches.
hmmm.
i spend a lot of time just staring at it.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday,January 06, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
i spend a lot of time just staring at it.

:)

It's a traditional and essential part of any restoration referred to as "giving it another coat of looking at".  In my case it usually means "how on earth do I fix that mess ?"   ;)

The jack looks like the one I have although I've never used it for anything other than ballast weight tuning at the front of the car.  The basic design was used on several British cars, I think it's only the angle iron section that's unique for Lotus. I suppose it's designed to lift the car on the fibreglass sections like in the manual, I'd just prefer to see it done on someone else's car first......

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 07:09:53 AM »
I haven't seen a jack like the one pictured. I guess they were only used on the S2s. The S1 owner's manual posted on lotus-europa.com shows a different jack and a different jack point! The TC owner's manual shows one like I posted, and 

The "angle iron" section works very well. You have to use the correct jack point, of course (for the S2 and TCs, behind the front and rear wheels). In fact, I have to use it in the front because I can't get a floor jack under the car to jack on the frame until I lift one corner with the scissor jack.