Author Topic: Europa on Overhaulin'  (Read 90796 times)

Offline Mike Mileski

Europa on Overhaulin'
« on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 10:02:51 AM »
It looks like Chip Foose and company are going to do their magic on a 1972 Europa next Sunday night, May 26, on Overhaulin'. Check your local listings for the time. In Tucson, it's at 8:00 p.m.

Mike Mileski
Tucson, AZ

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: Europa on Overhaulin'
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »
This is the event our group was invited to back in November. Was asked not to reveal the real reason for the gathering

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=210.msg1269#msg1269
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
So, for the benefit of us on the other side of the pond, what is this all about folks ?  Is it a TV show aired just in the US or on an internet feed that we might see over here ?

Brian

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
It is a show that secretly restores someone car. Usually they stage something like the car gets stolen, but in fact the "Overhaulin" show has the car and does a restoration, then surprises the owner after it's completed.

In this case it is a Twin Cam Special that a guy gave away to his friend. His friend was going to restore the car as a project for he and his son. However, "Overhaulin" redid the car and gave it back to the original owner.

I don't know if you can get the program in the UK. However I sure it will be posted on the "Overhaulin" site at some point. The show is also available on Nextflix.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
Right, I get it. We've had similar shows over here but they are usually re-vamping someone's house and not their car.  Actually, judging on some of the house make-overs I don't think I'd let the producers anywhere near something as important as my car......

I'll take a tour of google on Monday morning, I'm sure I'll find it somewhere  ;)

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Love Tucson.  Was hanging out there just six weeks ago.............

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Monday,May 20, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
And yes we get overhauling in the UK. Usually on sky discovery turbo.  I will certainly keep my eye out.  It makes an alternative to wheeler dealers.  ;D
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,May 21, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
I prefer wheeler dealers personally

Offline buzzer

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,May 23, 2013, 12:29:47 AM »
 Well I do really   Its only Brewer's sick jokes that make me cringe

The worst one of the lost must be classic car rescue in the UK! I can't stand the bloke, well how he comes across and the work they do looks really bodged.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 04:00:29 AM »
That ain't no TC... That's an S2.  Foose is certainly doing his thing with it.   :welder:
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 04:50:35 AM »
both ep1 and 2 air tonight.  looking forward to watching it.  ive heard a few things, some neat, others.... not.

either way, good for the brand, and our cars.

i was at a high end used car dealer Friday(im trying to find an 04' XJR)  and some how the europa came up.  the owner says to me  thats a collectable, any interest in selling?  i said, No, not selling and not much of a collectable yet.  he said it will be!

hahaha  we can dream.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #11 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
A recent, or not so recent episode of Top Gear, or 5th Gear (so hard to keep track of those UK programs) had one of those "5 best investments" installments where one of the cars was a Triumph Spitfire.  I loved the two I owned and have many fond memories of working on them (they were, after all, British).  This surprised me, since the Spitfire always seemed to be the poor younger brother of the TR model.  Now, maybe, finally, with the help of Chip Foose and Jay Leno, maybe, just maybe, the Europa will begin to catch up to the Elan in popularity.

That's the good news.  The bad news may be, until replacement parts become more available (like Spitfire parts are available), they may become more expensive and difficult to find and there were a lot more Triumphs made than Lotus Europi, so it may not be feasible for manufacturers to tool up for them.  The good news is, if all what I just wrote is true, your Lotus Europa will become much more valuable in the future, so keep it in good order, and prepare yourself for the questions at stop lights.  :trophy:

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »
a few years ago i was offered a sunbeam tiger for free.  all i had to do was title it.  it ran, but needed work.  title was lost.

i passed on it.

a few weeks ago i heard one sold at an auction for 6 figures.   :headbanger:

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #13 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
It all depends on rarity.  The number of Europas that were produced is a difficult number to get down, since the records for the Type 47 are, well, vague.  At most, there were less than 85 of those produced, but even using that generous figure, plus adding 2 ultra rare Type 62s, there were only 8,908 Europas ever made.  That's fewer cars than Ford produces in a DAY.

This time, hang on to your car.  You may get lucky.  At the least, you'll be in good rare company

Bruce

Offline 3929R

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,June 06, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
It all depends on rarity.
It half depends on rarity.  There has to be demand as well as supply.... or high demand and low supply. 
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA