Author Topic: TCS/Zetec/NG3 Conversion  (Read 12092 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: TCS/Zetec/NG3 Conversion
« Reply #60 on: Monday,March 13, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
OK, I was just checking. Cable shift should not be an issue. The removable portion of the hoop is stock. I didn't do that.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #61 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »
I'm intending to make a cable shifter for my conversion. I had purchased on of D. Lindeman's most excellent shifter kits. It really was nice, if you've not seen one. Since I would not be able to use some of the mounts, I decided to sell it, and make my own.
I started with a mid 80s Toyota shifter, ebay, about $30. The crank on this shifter operates above the tunnel, so had to modify that. You can see where the crank was cut, flipped, and re-welded. The cup holding the shifter ball had to be drilled, for the later style, below the tunnel cable attachment.
I purchased a short throw shifter off ebay, about $25. Modified this shifter by cutting off the ball cable attachment at the end, drilling and tapping for a 5/16x24 bolt, as I will try using a rod end there
. Above the ball, the shifter is a bit shorter than the stock Lotus shifter. I cut it off, threaded it for 3/8x24.
I bought some 5/8th rod, drilled and countersunk one end, tapped it for 3/8x24, threaded the other end for 5/16x24, Then turned it to a taper that is near the stock shifter taper. It is about 1" longer than stock, as the whole shifter will set a bit lower in the tunnel. It will be no problem to shorten it if needed. Will either locktite it, or drill & tap for a small set screw so it doesn't come loose.
Now, to make the base, and see if everything will work together.
« Last Edit: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 02:26:59 PM by andy harwood »

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #62 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
Andy. Can't wait till you get to attaching the cables to the NG3 trans.  I've got the kit but am not that far.  Looking forward to your expertise.   Tom

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #63 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
Tom,
Got no expertise here.   D. Andersons or J. Mellelieu's cable conversions are what I will be attempting to copy.  I like the simplicity of how D. Anderson attached his cables to the transaxle. It will be a while before I will get around to it.
andyh