Author Topic: TCS/Zetec/NG3 Conversion  (Read 12180 times)

Offline andy harwood

TCS/Zetec/NG3 Conversion
« on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
Just back from vacation, had some parts waiting.
Thanks to Serge's how-to video, and Allan's mounts, started on new engine mounts today.
First coat of POR drying now.
Frame has been sand blasted, and bottom sides have 1st coat of POR.
Progress!

Offline BDA

Re: TCS/Zetec/NG3 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »
Glad you're back from vacation. Now get to work. Some of us want to see that car in Birmingham next year!  :)

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 11:20:41 PM »
Nice to see the mounts being put to good use and they look so clean lol.  This is why I never throw anything away.  Are you going to mount a spherical bearing inside?  Love to see the finished product. Good luck on your project and welcome home, Allan

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 31, 2016, 09:29:19 AM »
Using a sawzall, to cut off the bonded rubber, and a wire wheel does wonders for looks!
Allan, I used the same urethane type bushing that Serge used in his S1 resto.
Mounts are painted in gloss black POR.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 31, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
This has got me thinking, I wrecked one of my motor mounts while putting the engine in the chassis and I do have some poly bushings with a 1/2" ID crush tube.  Are there any cars currently running using this set-up?  I'm curious about how harsh the poly bushings are compared to the compliant rubber mounts.

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #5 on: Monday,October 31, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
After breaking the OEM mounts, I welded up a set for myself several years ago and they are still going strong.  I don't think you will find  the vibrations/feedback problematic. 

Dean

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »
Well, a little snag. So, question time.
Purchased NG3 from Banks, along with a transaxle mounting kit.
Richard assured me that with a frame with the 365 loop transaxle, using the mounting kit, I would not need to modify the rear frame loop.
Have Lotus TC engine bolted up to bell housing/NG3, placed loosely in frame to fit the transaxle mounts. Doesn't look like it will go.
Anyone have opinion, or words of wisdom?
Didn't really want to cut the frame loop off, or mod it, but is no problem if I have to.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »
Which side of the engine mount bracket is attached to the engine mount?  Having the bracket in front gives a bit more room.  Are the mounts stock?  Or what you have been making up above?

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2016, 07:15:52 PM »
I had a 365 before I converted to an NG3. I called Richard and told him that it didn't look like it was going to fit with the rear hoop I had (the NG3 seems to protrude further than the 365) so he sent me a rear hoop to use in place of the 365 hoop. The hoop Richard sent me was bent to go under the tranny and my fabricator had to weld in some tubes in the hoop to pick up the tranny mounts. It looked similar to the hoop and may have actually been for a 335 but there were no mounting ears on it.

Since the NG3 is a bit longer, I'm not sure how it could work with the 365 rear hoop - but I wouldn't want to say there is no way it could work since it's been a long time since I dealt with it. It would definitely be worth a call to him to straighten that out.

I've attached a picture of the three hoops from the TC parts manual. The #10 is for the 365, the #9 is for the 352 and the #8 is for the 335. Check out the TC parts manual in the Chassis section.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2016, 07:19:57 PM »
The engine brackets are on the rear side of the frame mounts. Yes, using the frame side mounts I modified, but the mounting tabs on modified mounts are in the same location as on stock mounts.
The engine/transaxle assembly may slide forward 1/2 inch or so, but appears need about 3 inches for transaxle rear cover to clear frame hoop.
My idea was to mate NG3 to TC engine, place in frame, locate transaxle mounts, then mate NG3 to Zetec, repeat process, and make engine to frame mounts.
Piece of cake, I thought.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
BDA, I specifically asked Richard when purchasing the NG3 about fitment, that's when he suggested using his mounting kit (is bolted to transaxle rear cover in pic). I quizzed him then, remembering that you had to replace your hoop. He said NG3 would fit with 365 rear frame loop.
Very recent follow up call, I posed the question again, telling him my plan - attach TC engine to NG3 to locate the mounts, and then attach Zetec to NG3 to make engine mounts,  His response was that would be the way that he would go about it, but they had never installed a Zetec longitudinally.
So, I'm thinking it must fit, If Richard says so. but seems every thing I've read/seen uses a different method to mount the transaxle.

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
I certainly wouldn't disagree with anything Richard would say about this, or any topic about Europas for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he came up with a mount solution since I got my NG3 from him (in 1998 or 1999). Just for the record, I used the stock motor mounts.

I wish he had that mount set up when I did mine!

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,November 03, 2016, 05:12:51 AM »
Thanks John and BDA for your input.
The photo I posted, due to angles of frame, engine on hoist, and camera,  is not a good representation of actual fitment.
Sorry.
I called Richard at Banks this morning. His response was "may have to hit loop with a hammer, or may have to modify/replace loop. Depends on the frame". Also, "measurements can be up to 1/2 inch off, up-down".
So, after some careful rechecking this morning, it appears that I'm within Richard's guidelines.
After looking at my spreadsheet on my Europa costs, An Elise isn't looking that expensive. And they have air con.

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,November 03, 2016, 05:26:45 AM »
After looking at my spreadsheet on my Europa costs, An Elise isn't looking that expensive. And they have air con

Yeah, but how different is your Elise from any other Elise? Your Europa will be made just for you!  ;D

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,November 03, 2016, 05:30:46 AM »

" Yeah, but how different is your Elise from any other Elise? Your Europa will be made just for you! "

One Day!