Poll

Interest in buying seat frames

All 18 ga. CRS
All aluminum 16 ga (cost of material is 400% more than steel)
Composite of aluminum and steel

Author Topic: Lotus Europa TC Special Seats  (Read 10856 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Lotus Europa TC Special Seats
« Reply #60 on: Monday,April 03, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
Beautiful!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #61 on: Monday,April 03, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
The rusty ones came out of 3089R which had a leaking screen. The pedals were rusted solid, but as it is now RHD, that was no problem.

I had to drill the bolts holding the sliding seat mounts out from below.

The new ally ones go in 4688R which is my "keeper". The steel seats from 4688R, which were in good condition, go into 3089R which is at the paint shop.

The interior trimmer is on set #5. I am a better customer to him than the Lotus factory just up the road. I pay quickly !!!

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #62 on: Monday,April 03, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »
Speaking of payment, what did these seats set you back?  Beautiful work and a great that we now have sources on both sides of the pond.   

Offline 4129R

« Reply #63 on: Monday,April 03, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »
Speaking of payment, what did these seats set you back?  Beautiful work and a great that we now have sources on both sides of the pond.

Have a guess, in $.

Just look at the amount of welding, and folding involved.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #64 on: Monday,April 03, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »
Just look at the amount of welding, and folding involved.
Yes, I was surprised how much weld metal there is in the manufacture. If it was MIG then it wouldn't be a big deal, but if the guy is TIG welding that lot it must take ages to get one made. Stitch welding for the longer seams would cut it down a bit without compromising the application I suppose.

You can't fault the construction though, they look very solidly made by someone who knows his trade.

And now you're going to cover it all with material !   :)

Brian

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #65 on: Monday,April 03, 2017, 11:42:10 PM »
LOL, ok, I'm game.  Given that when Richard Banks were still making them from steel, he was getting 250 GBP each for the S1/2 seats or about $310.  So maybe 350 GBP each, or $430 USD?   

Offline 4129R

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday,April 04, 2017, 04:51:28 AM »

And now you're going to cover it all with material !   :)
[/quote]

Or I could spray the shiny aluminium with a lacquer and wear a fat suit for padding.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday,April 04, 2017, 05:03:13 AM »
LOL, ok, I'm game.  Given that when Richard Banks were still making them from steel, he was getting 250 GBP each for the S1/2 seats or about $310.  So maybe 350 GBP each, or $430 USD?

He says he will retail them at £475 the pair (with no VAT). He gave me discount as I waited 5 months, and gave him a rust free steel seat to make patterns from.

I thought the workmanship was 100% and they were reasonable value at £475 the pair. By the time Banks added profit and VAT they would be too expensive, but he was given the chance to supply, and didn't come up with a seat, so I had to source one myself.

Ditto with the exhaust systems. They are next on my treasure hunt list when 3089R returns with the bare engine in situ to take to the manufacturer to make so it actually fits properly. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #68 on: Tuesday,April 04, 2017, 06:05:15 AM »
S1 Europas do not have separate seat frames.  They have upholstered cushions which fit into receptacles moulded into the interior's/body's fibreglass.

Offline sbrazil

« Reply #69 on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 10:04:01 PM »
I would be very interested in new aluminum seat frames.  Drawings of the foam pieces should come with it.

Offline gideon

« Reply #70 on: Sunday,March 14, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »
If it's S2 seats you're after, you can get aluminum seat frames from Kirkey Racing Seats, or so I've heard.

Offline Quebec_Europa

« Reply #71 on: Wednesday,June 01, 2022, 04:09:02 PM »
First round of prototypes are out and I love when a plan comes together.  Surprisingly it all fitted together on the first try and nothing fought me or was designed incorrectly.  All the hours playing with my Gilbert Erector sets as a child has finally paid off lol.  But here are my notes. Assembly was easy and straight forward it it will go together and is very rigid with just the rivets.  I made some rivet holes slightly larger or slotted one panel where I thought there could be some minor misalignment, but it all fell in place perfectly.  The most difficult part was the two small shoulder indents which had very complicated bends in different directions and and different angles and even these went together without any issues. You will still have to weld in the rear seat track nuts or use a rivnut which ever would be easier.  No other welding is needed, but the top flanges could be welded together with a mig.  These are the top 0.375 flange that is on the lower sides, the shoulder indents, and the headrest.  Otherwise, it could be used as is as it is that rigid.  Total weight of the seat is about 11-12 pounds which is the same as the original.  Please do not ask me about price yet as I still have to work out the numbers with the sheet metal factory but it will be whatever they charge plus boxing materials.  I just don't want to buy too many and have them kicking around my garage forever.  And doubt I will be making anymore after my initial run.  I am still inspecting the proto for size, fit and function, but should be cutting metal soon.  But at first glance, everything looks right, from the width, height, seatback angles, and track holes.  Thanks for the support and tell me what you think, good or bad as anything can be made better and I am open to suggestions.   Thanks Allan

I do not know if this thread is still alive but I would be very interested to get a pair of these seat frames :).